Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

2018 Winter Olympics Pre-game

+6 HS
BuckInChicago's picture
January 22, 2018 at 5:22pm
22 Comments

I typically have Mondays off which has left me with #1: A lot of time to surf around 11W & #2: time to check out some sports that I have neglected in the last week.  As a result I was watching some of the Olympic qualifiers which got me excited for Korea, and I wanted to see everyone else's interest level.  I was surprised that there wasn't a forum regarding the upcoming Winter Olympics.... well at least one that wasn't centered around Russian doping at least (Watch Icarus on Netflix if you haven't).

So in that spirit, does anyone else get into the Olympics?!  I personally love both the winter and summer games, and am constantly in awe of the dedication and skill that all the athletes display in their chosen disciplines.  What events do you especially enjoy or look forward to?  Any personal stories of watching or going to the games (bucket list item for me)?  

If I had to name the competitions I am especially looking forward to I would have to go with:

1. Curling- I have found that I get quite into curling, and enjoy the strategy that goes into the 'ice shuffleboard'.  
2. Speed skating- Both long and short track are a blast to watch.  This probably meshes decently well with my interest in track and field in the winter games, but I do like watching athletes push the limits on just how fast the human body can go.  
3. Bobsled/Luge/Skeleton- I mean seriously, you gotta be a little nuts to be ok with rocketing down an ice chute like these men and women.  I'll even cheer for former UM recruit/sacrificial lamb kick returner Sam McGuffie.... 'murica first and all.
4. Snowboarding- As someone who enjoys hitting the slopes and measures my own success in just not getting hurt, I enjoy watching the athletes who can do gymnastics with their feet strapped to a board.  I'll be interested to see if Shaun White can pull off another half-pipe medal in what has been nothing short of a dominating career.  

Dust off your red, white, and blue clothing, select your libation(s) of choice, and get ready for the Olympics!  Now I suppose I should go do the laundry I've been putting off...

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 22 Comments