Other Sports Forum

Other Sports Forum

NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS, EPL, you name it. Talk about it here.

USSF has been contacting potential Klinsmann replacements since last year

0 HS
smartone29's picture
November 17, 2016 at 2:50pm
42 Comments

Source article: http://www.espnfc.com/united-states/story/2998167/us-soccer-has-weighed-replacements-for-jurgen-klinsmann-for-year-sources

I have been a JK supporter since he was given the job. He has the highest profile of any coach that the US have had. But simply put, his style just isn't working here. I would say that since its inception, the USMNT have been founded upon staunch defending and fantastic goalkeeping (Keller, Friedel, Guzan, Howard, etc.). I admire JK's enthusiasm for the "beautiful" part of the game, but the US have never been "beautiful" soccer players. We're tough, gritty, and pound-to-the-ground type players (I'm looking at you, Brian McBride). Sure, we have brought in phenomenal (heavy emphasis) talent with the likes of Julian Green and Christian Pulisic, who I believe will be the faces of the national team in years to come, but it was players like Dempsey, Donovan, Hejduk, Reyna, Mastroeni, and Bocanegra that really brought US soccer to its current level.

I think that in a large part, we are going to consistently fall short of nations like Brazil and Germany in soccer, due to the best athletes in the US predominately choosing sports like football and basketball. But that hasn't meant that we couldn't succeed with the types of players that we get.

All considered, I think it's time for the Klinsmann experiment to be done. It frustrating to watch the US get knocked out of the Gold Cup by Jamaica, and more recently watch us drop the first two games of the hex. Honestly, I can understand the 2-1 loss to Mexico. And I know that we have never beaten Costa Rica on their turf, but 4-0?! That's just pitiful.

I would be absolutely ecstatic if we were able to get Bruce Arena back at the helm, and he has said that he would be interested (even though he would never lobby for JK to lose his job). And it wouldn't be terrible if Gulati was dropped too. But what do I know?

Anywho, what do you guys say? Have you been impressed at all with JK in his time here? Is it time to part ways? Who would you want as a replacement?

Have fun.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 42 Comments