Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

OSU football and basketball recruiting fan talk.

This Date In Gray Box History: Demetrius Knox (7-28)

Matt Gutridge's picture
July 28, 2015 at 11:13am
7 Comments

This series will highlight the commitment anniversary date of Ohio State players. I have commitment dates from 2003-2015.

Note: I don't have all of the commitment dates for all of the players from those years, but I have the majority. 

Demetrius Knox

Demetrius Knox had a .952 comp. rating and was the 5th ranked OG in the 2014 class.

ON JULY 28, 2013 DEMETRIUS KNOX (OG) COMMITTED TO OHIO STATE

Excerpts of an article by Jeremy Birmingham of the best site ever:

Moments ago Urban Meyer received a phone call from Fort Worth All Saints Episcopal High School standout Demetrius Knox, and the highly-coveted offensive lineman informed Ohio State's head coach that he wanted to come home.

And with that phone call, Knox ended his recruitment and committed to Ohio State's 2014 recruiting class.

Urban Meyer had fun with Big Meechy with this photo bomb. Knox returned the favor when he called to commit to Ohio State.

Urban Meyer had fun with Big Meechy with this photo bomb. Knox returned the favor when he called to commit to Ohio State.

Knox describes to Birmingham how he told Urban Meyer he was going to be a Buckeye:

"I told (Meyer) 'I know I said I was going to wait a little longer to decide what school I'm going to but I feel like it's best if I go ahead and pull the trigger'," Knox told Eleven Warriors. "I said, 'I am really am thankful that y'all recruited me and everything. I really just wanted to call you up and tell you I appreciate everything coach."

"I think he was worried I was committing somewhere else, because he started talking about how he thought Ohio State was in good shape with me, etc. I was like 'Wait, what do you mean coach? I am committing to the Buckeyes."

Demetrius Knox at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl.

Demetrius Knox at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl.

Birmingham reported why Knox committed to Ohio State:

"I've wanted to play for Ohio State since second grade," Knox said. "It's just once I got the offer I realized its more than just football that you have to weigh as an option, that's why it took me so long," he added about his choice. "But like I've said, regardless I was still going to be a Buckeye and I meant it! I have tons of family in Ohio that will be really excited to hear the news."

"My mom is actually going to move back to Ohio when I graduate so I'll have her in my corner. It's just a blessing. I'm comfortable at Ohio State; with the commits, being back home in Ohio, they have four starting lineman leaving after this year, Urban Meyer will not be going anywhere for a long time and he will challenge me to improve myself more than any other coach in the country."

"They are a legitimate national champion contender every single year and I will get to be a part of 'The Chase' to win a title for my home state," Knox said. "Playing at Ohio State is a lifelong dream. If all those things aren't a reason to make the call - then it's a pretty good sign that maybe I should go somewhere else, right? I have nothing but love for all these schools that were recruiting me and I'm sure they all have bright futures. They just don't have futures as bright as the Ohio State Buckeyes."

Go here to read Knox's 11W Community Interview.

Go here to read Knox's 11W Community Interview.

Demetrius Knox during Media Day for the National Championship Game.

Demetrius Knox during Media Day for the National Championship Game.

Demetrius Knox's biography in the Ohio State Team Guide:

Ohio State Overview: Demetrius Knox is in his second season with the Buckeyes … he red-shirted the 2014 campaign and has four seasons of eligibility starting with the 2015 season … is majoring in sport industry.

Consensus four-star prospect Demetrius Knox played tackle for an undefeated All Saints Episcopal team but had high national rankings as an offensive guard … Rivals rated Knox as its No. 2 guard prospect and Scout (No. 7), 247Sports (No. 10) and ESPN (No. 11) also had him highly ranked … considered among the top players in the nation regardless of position, Knox was rated as high as No. 45 overall by Rivals with Scout ranking him No. 107 … helped All Saints Episcopal and coach Aaron Beck to consecutive, 11-0 seasons and Southwest Preparatory School championships … was selected to play in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in January and was named one of seven recipients of a Rotary Lombardi Award “Chip Off the Old Block” award in 2013 for outstanding play and community service achievements … listed among the Top 20 seniors in the state of Texas … comes home to Ohio, as he was born in the state and lived in the Dayton/Springfield area … is the son of Aledia Cavitt and Reggie Knox.

D. Knox with his high school coach.

Demetrius Knox with his high school coach. Knox is a winner on and off of the field.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 7 Comments