Ohio State Recruiting Forum

Ohio State Recruiting Forum

OSU football and basketball recruiting fan talk.

Has New Age Recruiting Led to the Demise of Pageantry in College Football?

0 HS
Cooper's picture
July 27, 2015 at 11:37am
38 Comments

"Here's the freshman from Westerville South, Ohio and he is a good one." 

The sound of Keith Jackson's voice introducing fresh faces to the nation is one of the more nostalgic feelings in my life. I will admit I never paid attention to recruiting throughout the years, but then again there wasn't much of a business for it at the time. The recruits you heard about were the can't miss prospects heralded as the new Herschel Walker, Joe Montana, etc. For the most part, you found about a player when he performed at a high level in college. Even in 2004, I was formally introduced to Ted Ginn Jr. on his amazing catch and run against Indiana.

Today, every recruit in the class is known. The expectations for these teenagers has increased exponentially. In turn, AJ McCarron noted there were inflated egos that correlated with this attention. 

Thus, this question is two-fold: has new age recruiting put unrealistic expectations on recruits? Furthermore, do fans miss the days where they were excited to see the new faces on the field without having inflated expectations? 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 38 Comments