Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Do College Football Teams Now Need a "general Manager."

+10 HS
Little Mikey's picture
December 5, 2023 at 12:39pm
27 Comments

Almost all discussion about college football begins and ends with the head coach. HOWEVER, the landscape of college football has changed drastically in the past few years with NIL, and the portal especially. Recruiting now occurs the entire year, and it's not just high schoolers being recruited. 

Contrast that with the NFL. I don't really have a favorite team in the NFL, but I keep track of the Seahawks a bit because my relatives live in Seattle and have season tickets. As long as Pete Carroll has been the coach - John Schneider has been the GM. Their success has been in tandem - acquiring players, drafting, trading. It's a two headed hydra. 

Who is the general manager of the Buckeyes? Or do they have one? Where does the AD fit in? What does Hinton do? Or Pantoni, or Temple, or Voltolini, or CJ Barnett. Is it time for college football at the level the Buckeyes are playing - does their need to be a front office GM who is managing high school scouting, and portal scouting, and roster management. Of course the HC is vital to the effort, but I don't think there's anybody in the NFL who is the coach and GM. Maybe it's semantics and titles, but with the speed of change in college maybe hiring a GM is the next stage of preparedness.

Many people think Coach Day has too much on his plate with being HC, and calling the plays, and quarterback whisperer. If he is also the de facto GM - well maybe that's too much as well.

Please let me know what you think. Go Buckeyes - beat the Tigers.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 27 Comments