Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Care/Don't Care: Three Things After Michigan

+10 HS
milhouse4588's picture
November 25, 2023 at 8:17pm
43 Comments

Took a good few hours post-game to have fun with family and stop thinking about the game...have to keep reminding myself this is just football and not something as important as a vast, many things in this world.

Care: Honestly, not much at this point.

Thank goodness I have a toddler girl that I can play with because that makes everything better after a game like this.

The season can still be successful by any measure of a pre-CFP year with a 12-1 NY6 bowl win. That's an absurdly good season for all but 4-5 teams in the country. We're lucky to be at that level.

And yet, it still kind of sucks. I'll cheer the Buckeyes on as hard as I do for every game for the bowl game, but it does suck we won't be in the playoffs.

Don't Care: Ryan Day "hot seat" narratives.

It's going to happen a lot on this board and elsewhere but Ryan Day's seat does not need to even be warm. Three straight losses to Michigan sucks, but you don't find coaches that can be as successful as Day just anywhere. He's more successful than any coach not named Saban, Smart, or Harbaugh (post-season success notwithstanding).

It's tough to look past three straight losses, even with potential NCAA sanctions coming for Michigan, but Day is an exceptional coach. He called an extremely good game today. He doesn't call the defense who couldn't get off the field, and he put our players in positions to make plays. I don't place much of this loss on his shoulders beyond the typical "he's the head coach so he's ultimately responsible" type of thing.

He shouldn't be going anywhere and those calling for his head, or even for a consideration of it, have no potential solutions or constructive criticisms, they just can't handle losing.

Care: Same issues, different day. Yes this is about McCord so if you don't want to hear it, please move along.

The same issues that plagued our quarterback continued today, and it ended up costing us the game. Kyle McCord is cool, calm, and collected for the majority of every game he plays in. I admire him for making some really great throws today against a great defense and keeping us in the game.

But....

His tendency to make really poor decisions or have significant lapses in execution multiple times per game continued today against the one defense that we absolutely couldn't afford it against. His first interception was one of his worst passes all season, end stop. He stared down Harrison and the gentleman wearing dark blue literally right next to him apparently was invisible for a second or two. Why he threw it, I'll never know. Absolutely mind-boggling.

A number of passes today were off the mark to a significant degree or bad decisions (misfire to Harrison in the first quarter way behind him, the pass to Stover was thrown right to Michigan, the pass behind Egbuka that was an easy 8 yards to a first down across the middle, etc). If you have an easy pass you have to make it against the best teams in the country. McCord doesn't have that ability right now, apparently. I have no doubt he'll improve over the course of an off-season, but I don't think his ceiling is anywhere near the first round right now judging by his lack of decision-making improvement over the course of the season.

Here's to me being wrong.

Don't Care: The post-season

This is a season in which it's impossible for us to back into the playoffs this year. The bowl game will be fun to watch and I'll be drunk and into it as always, but I don't really care much. I wouldn't be surprised to have a number of players (Harrison Jr, Burke, Tre, and a few others) sit out the game to prep for the draft, as they should.

I hope Michigan loses by 40 in the playoffs if they beat Iowa.

Care: The Reload

We are losing a LOT of talent after this season. The narrative of Michigan losing 41 seniors or something like that is popular, but we are losing at least as much valuable talent.

We have been a team to reload consistently but this will be the toughest task yet when it comes to offseason growth of our younger guys and new players.

We need to replace WR1/2, RB1/2/3, multiple OL, at least 3 DL starters, both starting LBs, and possibly our entire secondary.

I trust in our coaching staff as much as anyone, but that's a tall task. I can't wait to see how it goes.

Don't Care: Michigan Sanctions...to a point.

I really am done with the sign stealing scandal right now. If it comes out that Michigan cheated and then some...well the punishment will be fun to watch. I love some good schadenfreude.

But even punishments like vacated wins mean nothing except for the changing of numbers in the record books. It doesn't allow CJ Stroud to get the wins and legacy he deserves. It doesn't help Ryan Day avoid a bunch of bullshit talk about the hot seat and not being able to beat Michigan. It doesn't change a damn thing about the past except to make the fans feel a little bit better.

I'll follow along the threads and make my memes, and enjoy Michigan fans trying to cope if something serious happens to the program, but I am not really emotionally invested right now. It's exhausting and the payoff is minimal to the Buckeye team.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 43 Comments