Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

2023 TAILGATE FARE WEEK 12

+7 HS
osurox's picture
November 17, 2023 at 12:02pm
9 Comments

Good Morning Dubbers!

APOLOGIES for posting a day late; life has been hectic recently, but as Gandolf said:

So here we are in week 12, playing a hapless Gopher team, but all anyone can think about is being 8 days away from tcun. If you haven't perused the many Roman Numeral threads on the topic, please do so. I haven't enjoyed this site as much as I have these last few weeks reading about the demise of those weasels up north.  One of the funniest tweets I have seen sums it up:

With that said, we do have a game tomorrow at 4, and that means we need another tailgate recipe.  The Gophers are still trying to Row their Boat, but unfortunately they are about to be annihilated. Not going to lie to you folks, the cupboard is bare with new recipes. I actually got to try these a few weeks ago at the Maryland game (stole this from my friend), so I hope you all enjoy:

Hot Honey Chicken Sliders

Ingredients

• 24 Hawaiian rolls
  • 5 cups cooked chicken, shredded
  • 12 slices provolone cheese
  • hot honey sauce 
  • 4 tablespoon butter, melted
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 4 cups shredded coleslaw
  • 1/2 cup ranch

Directions

• Preheat oven to 350F.
  • Spray a baking pan with Pam.
  • Remove the sliders from the bag without separating. Using a knife, cut the rolls in half (be careful, these can easily fall apart).
  • Place the bottom set of buns into the pan. You might have to press them in to make them fit.
  • Layer the cheese slices on top of the rolls. 
  • Mix the shredded chicken with hot honey sauce and layer on top of cheese, and bake for 15 minutes.
  • After 15 minutes, remove pan from the oven, and cover the chicken with the other half of the rolls. 
  • Mix up the melted butter and seasonings. Brush butter mixture over the top of the rolls. Bake for another 15-20 minutes.
  • While they finish baking, mix the coleslaw and ranch dressing.
  • When the sliders are done, remove from the oven. Then, remove the top rolls carefully and top with the coleslaw. Replace the tops and brush with additional butter mixture if desired.

Pro Tips

• Use fried chicken instead of shredded. Shredded rotisserie is the easiest, but also limits the flavors for these suckers.
  • Add sliced pickles and/or jalapenos.
  • Add bacon, because bacon.
  • If the sliders sit too long, the bottoms become soggy. Be aware.
  • For the hot honey sauce, store bought works  but you can easily make your own in a few minutes.

The Greatest Hit

Today's flashback is brought to you by Mr. 3M himself, and is aligned with the slider theme. It is only fitting to share this too, since the 4 PM kickoff means more pregaming, which always leads to a hangover.

Hangover Sliders

Ingredients

• 1 lb ground pork sausage
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • Two 10 oz cans Rotel
  • 1 lb Velveeta (cubed)
  • 24 Slider Buns (split)
  • 4 tablespoons salted butter (melted)
  • Jalapeno slices

Directions

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • Brown the ground beef and sausage in a large skillet, chop frequently with a spatula to crumble. Drain. 
  • Add the Rotel and cheese and continue cooking over medium heat, stirring often, until cheese is melted and the mixture is combined (approx. 8 minutes).
  • Arrange the bottom half of the Slider buns in a single layer in baking dishes. 
  • Spoon the mixture evenly over all slider buns, and cover with the top half of the bun.
  • Brush the top of the buns with melted butter.
  • Bake about 15 minutes, until thoroughly heated.
  • Garnish with jalapenos, if desired.

Both of these slider recipes are chalked full of tasty meats, which I know Ron would approve of.

Go Bucks! Beat the Gophers!

Tailgate Fare Historical Archives

The Official 11W Tailgate Cookbook

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 9 Comments