Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Will Injury Data/Narrative About Artificial Turf Force Ohio Stadium Back to Natural Grass?

+4 HS
AVBuckeye's picture
April 20, 2023 at 11:17am
77 Comments

According to this ESPN article, the NFLPA has data showing that natural grass is "significantly safer" than artificial turf:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/36243906/nflpa-new-injury-data-shows...

Noncontact injuries for NFL players occurred at a higher rate on artificial turf compared to grass during the 2022 regular season, according to data released this week by the NFL Players Association.

The gap arose one year after the league moved to neutralize the debate about the two types of playing surfaces based on 2021 numbers.

Reading the article, it seems like this is a complicated question, and the data is not quite as clear as the NFLPA says it is; but it seems to me that the narrative amongst players is that natural grass is far superior.

I understand the logistical issues of having grass at Ohio Stadium. But to me, if this data/narrative continues, Ohio State needs to figure out how to get grass back in the Horseshoe. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 77 Comments