Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Stroud's Legacy

+1 HS
AaronAlvin's picture
January 16, 2023 at 12:10pm
137 Comments

CJ Stroud is officially headed to the NFL (got me going there for a moment). While it's fresh (and the offseason) where would you place CJ in terms of Ohio State QBs all time and why?

1. Troy Smith - Heisman winner, beat TTUN thrice as a starter and was a dynamic player. The only downside is the Florida loss.

2. Justin Fields - Probably the best all-around QB. Heisman finalist, and two-time B1G champ, only got to beat TTUN once due to COVID (or fear). Top-tier stats too.

3. JT Barrett - Least talented to the top 5. 4-0 vs TTUN, won 3 B1G titles. Was a warrior but he was a winner despite his lack of post-season success as a starter with a Cotton Bowl + Fiesta win (lead most of the 2014 natty season too).

4. CJ Stroud - Crazy stats, accurate to a crazy degree, clutch in postseason games. He's held back by getting embraced by TTUN twice (how much of that is on him is debatable) and never winning a B1G title. Wish he had a defense, but alas. 

5. Dwayne Haskins (RIP) - Best single season in tOSU history. I was tempted to put him above CJ, he crushed TTUN, put up 50 TDs, and was a monster for us. Only one season, but what a season, if only he had a defense worth defense.

If we rank by talent alone I would go:

1. Stroud, 2. Fields, 3. Haskins, 4. Smith, 5. Pryor 

*Edited JT Fiesta win and forgot Smith started in late 2004

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 137 Comments