Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

This National Narrative About This Team is Wrong

+19 HS
huffdaddy's picture
December 3, 2022 at 10:26am
32 Comments

This Buckeye team has some flaws, documented at length on this board (play calling, commitment to run concepts, CB play in coverage, unforced penalties). 

But the national commentary is focused on things that really aren't true, and are based on years past. 

- "The defense sucks. They are just like USC!" This is just bogus. I get that Michigan exploded on the big plays, but this D is generally top 10 in the advanced metrics, and USC was around 100. This is not the 2021 defense, it just isn't. 

- "They are soft in the trenches." Again, this feels like a 2021 comment. This D is stout against the run. They let up some big plays but basically everyone has overdialed on the two late Edwards runs, and under dialed on how they defended the run for 11 3/4 games. And on the O-Line, they struggled on 3rd and short for sure, but the line was much stouter overall than last year, and in the pass block, they were very very good. They are not physically soft. 

- "They are one dimensional." This is the closest to true in that playcalling sometimes makes the team that way, but this team can run the ball quite effectively, particularly on 1st and 2nd downs, it has more overall balance than people think, and certainly at its best it can line up and play with total balance. 

Anyway, the reason this matters is the things that are actual flaws (other than maybe CB play on the ball) are all fixable in short order, while the things people think are flaws are harder to fix. I am not saying they will be fixed, but they might. And that is why I think they have a legitimate chance to get on a run here. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 32 Comments