Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Are We Cursed? Let's Have a Cathartic List of Shame

+1 HS
ISURVIVEDCOOPER's picture
December 2, 2022 at 2:29pm
54 Comments

Does anyone else feel like we have a dark cloud over the program in some way that doesn't allow us to have nice things? This isn't just about the rivalry, it isn't just about games we should have won but throughout the many seasons there's been something just under my skin... so I wanted to get your memorable ones in the....

Buckeye Hall of Shame (moments/games):

1. 1969 - Biggest upset game + the start of the narrative of OSU having better teams, but losing/getting beat in the rivalry

2. 1978 - Famous Woody hitting Clemson player in a loss... 

3. 1988-2000 - Just about anything John Cooper and the lack of a killer instinct against TTUN, no need to go into details. We learned that NFL talent alone does not win the game - notable loss was with Biakabatuka running like Edwards just did against us... Yes, we have had long runs for scores in the rivalry, too, but somehow those don't erase the scars.

4. 1998 - Saban led Michigan St beat us in our house

5. 2016 - Running theme with Clemson - getting blanked 31-0 in the CFP ('nuff said)

6. 2017 - Iowa embarrassing tOSU which is so much more talented (but clearly not well coached on defense)

7. 2018 - Purdue comes up with a Wandale Robinson one-man-plan that just embarrasses tOSU yet again

8. 2020-21 - Bama embarrasses us in the Natty game

9. 2021 - Oregon begins the end of Coombs' defense - again happened at the Shoe

10. 2021 - Out-toughed in The Game in Ann Arbor

11. 2022 - Poor play, Absent-mindedness on secondary and questionable play-calling by coaches on both sides of the ball in The Game

Why is it that every bad team we play look all world against the talent we stock? I get that we can't win every game, but how come Bama is good at losing with a chance or closely most of the time, but we are often blown out or otherwise? I mean, can we at least have our losses be competitive? Do we have a curse? If I had to play a giant and wanted to have hope to beat them, I would choose tOSU as my opponent over many other program because I would look to history and see that there is always that chance!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 54 Comments