Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Let's Talk: Brian Hartline

0 HS
grahamkamp's picture
December 1, 2022 at 1:45pm
5 Comments

** Well this was unfortunate timing, as I wrote this he announced he won't leave. I'll leave it to a mod to get rid of this post**

Oops, lol

Most, if not all of you have now heard that Wide Receiver's coach Brian Hartline will interview for the Cincinnati Head Coaching position this week. Obviously the knee jerk reaction is "well s***" and understandably so. He's the best position coach in the country, and recruits the lights out because of it.

He has previously made comments pointing to the idea that he would not leave Ohio State, and that there is "no move up the ladder from OSU". Things that you love to hear from an OSU alum. 

So why would Hartline leave? Well, this is just my hypothesis, I'm sure you all have other ideas as well, but I don't think it's a good sign for the current state of the program. On Saturday the TV broadcast showed Hartline and Day having a tense conversation that we can assume had something to do with the playcalling. No big deal, stuff like this happens. 

What I am worried about, and what I think might be the case here. Is that Hartline does not believe in Ryan Day's direction of the program, he doesn't trust the decisions, doesn't trust the play calling, whatever it may be. 

I think Brian Hartline might want to jumpstart his Ohio State head coaching resume, and obviously we aren't going to hire just a position coach. By going to Cincinnati he's betting on himself, and betting that in a few years Ohio State will need a new head coach, and by then he will have proved he's qualified to be the head man of the Buckeyes. Will I be mad if Hart leaves for the Bearcats? No. Obviously it will suck, he's an amazing coach and a huge reason why we've seen the success stories of Campbell, McLaurin, Olave, Wilson, Smith-Njigba, and now Harrison Jr. But I understand betting on himself.

If he leaves, maybe we look back on this move eventually and are grateful that he got that HC experience before coming back to do it in Columbus. Or, who knows. Maybe he never leaves and never becomes a Head Coach.

Either way, I can't be mad at him for leaving. I'm just worried about what it may represent.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 5 Comments