Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

DeaMonte “Chip” Trayanum: Secret Weapon

+20 HS
teeedawg's picture
November 16, 2022 at 5:53pm
63 Comments

What makes a secret weapon?

It’s a term that’s thrown around all too casually these days.

Some weapons aren’t so secret. And most secrets would hardly qualify as a weapon. However, Ohio State has a true secret weapon whose timing could not be more perfect.

I present, DeaMonte “Chip” Trayanum. (who is up next in the recent tradition of OSU running backs with incredible football names à la Master Teague and Steele Chambers). 

The Secret
One carry for nine yards. Those are Chip Trayanum’s season stats at RB.

One could be forgiven for overlooking the multi-positional transfer from Arizona State. When Chip switched back to offense three weeks ago, it barely registered as a blip on the radar.

But for all the talk about Dallan Hayden and Xavier Johnson, here’s why the answer to every question at RB is Chip Trayanum.

Weapon
How good is Chip at RB? Let’s go back to Arizona State.

As a true freshman in 2020, Chip beat out fourth year Rachaad White for the starting job. White, by the way, was just drafted in the 3rd round by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and just beat out Leonard Fournette for the starting RB job next to Tom Brady.

They ended up splitting carries, but impressive nonetheless.

Chip exploded for 84 yards and 2 TDs on 12 carries in the season opener against USC and led ASU in carries as a true freshman. For his ASU career he averaged well over 5 YPC and scored 10 TDs.

After splitting carries again in 2021, Chip was supposed to be Arizona State’s bell cow this year with White off to the NFL.

While everyone at ASU was shocked to see him leave, here’s the thing: all Chip wants to do is compete for titles. He was willing to leave a guaranteed starting job at his preferred position to do it. And he has a great shot at directly contributing to our biggest win of the year.

Freak of Nature
Chip is a physical specimen. At a chiseled 230 lbs, he is the only RB who compares physically to Miyan Williams (225 lbs) on the roster.

I mean…

This is fellow freak athlete Emeka Egbuka discussing Chip on kickoff return earlier this season:

“I wouldn’t be surprised if he took the first one he gets back. I mean, he’s one of the fastest guys on the team. He can do backflips like it’s nothing. He’s one of the strongest guys in the weight room. Me, personally, if I was on the kickoff team, I would not want to tackle him.”

“Seeing him return them in practice, you don’t really realize how fast he is until he hits that crease. Once he hits that crease, no one on the scout kickoff team has been able to catch him."

"Chip is one of the most, if not the most athletic guy on the team."

Chip was clocked at a blazing 24 MPH! during offseason conditioning. In interviews, Chip believes this is the fastest and strongest he has ever been.

Not only is he a physical, downhill runner, he possesses elite game breaking speed to boot. There’s a reason that he was put on kickoff returns earlier this year. A legit weapon with the ball in his hands.

Conclusion
I can confidently say that Chip is our RB3 right now. And given the injuries to RB1 and RB2, he will play a huge role in these next few games.

Day’s confidence in the RB room is not his confidence that Miyan will be 100% for the TTUN game. Instead it’s his confidence in Chip, to not just fill the Miyan role, but be a lethal weapon within it. 

Time to unleash Chip!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 63 Comments