Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Red Zone Offense and Rushing Offense vs 8+ Man Boxes

+5 HS
BuckeyeCrusdader's picture
October 23, 2022 at 5:27am
63 Comments

So our red zone woes and rushing woes reared their heads a bit vs a very good defense. Iowa really decided to stop the run while mixing up coverages and doing some different things with their DL and LB.

I have my own ideas on how run the ball against 8 and 9 man boxes and also how to generate more TDs in the red zone.

First for the Red Zone.. despite our elite talent at WR it is my strong opinion that playing 2 TEs in the red zone (esp inside the 10) is vastly superior. Stover and Rossi are great blockers and both are threats to catch the ball. Rossi can also be used as a fullback. Normal drop back passing is tough in the red zone because the WR don’t have nearly as much space to work with. PA pass game is critical in the red zone as it can keep defenses from teeing off on the run but can also pull them up enough to find an opening in the pass game. Additionally 2 TEs is better for blocking the run game, their size and strength and ability to play in line really helps create more gaps for the RBs. Also they can motion just like a WR and cause defensive fronts a bit of confusion on their gap assignments and which offensive player is coming to hit them in the mouth. Also believe Gee Scott Jr could be used as well as he is said to have been really impressive in camp in practices catching the ball, but he’s also put on considerable size and improved his blocking ability.

For the run game against heavy boxes, first the OL must improve at quickly adapting to DLs sliding, stunting, twisting etc as well as different run blitzes from LBs and safeties. I believe our OL is very physically talented and tough they just faced some confusing looks and more bodies than they could block. I have two vastly different ideas of attacking a defense that is selling out against the run. One is putting Williams at FB with Henderson at RB and using a couple different motions such as Henderson going out to play WR or Egbuka jet motioning. The idea is to make the opposing defense do a bit more thinking and a lot less aggressive downhill attacking. A little option with a give or fake here and there could freeze a LB or safety just enough for an OL or TE to get to the second level and open a hole. My second idea is for mostly between the 20s. 4 wr with Henderson at RB occasionally motioning out to give a 5 wide look. If a defense does not get of a 4-3 or 3-4 and play nickel against this look they will be toasted in the pass game esp if their still bringing a safety down into the box. 2 corners is not enough to cover JSN, Harrison, Egbuka and Fleming.. any one of those dudes will roast a safety on most snaps. Henderson forcing a lb to cover him outside the box isn’t good for the defense either. Eventually the pass game will cause too many problems for defenses out of this look to continue running their base defense and bringing a safety down. Once the defense adjust to nickel or dime and has their strong safety at least 12 yards off the ball the numbers will come back into the offense’s favor in the run game. Egbuka and JSN are also threats in jet sweeps, wr screens and tunnel screens which challenge defenses laterally and keeps them from teeing off on the RB. I know Day is more pro style than spread and RPO but having a page or 2 in the playbook could help alleviate facing such aggressive defenses. I know people hate WR screens but an RPO where Stroud reads an OLBs alignment and either hands the ball or throws a wr screen can put the OLB in enough a bind that it’s like a +1 in the blocking. Of course my favorite is after it seems like the corners and safeties are heavily triggering on the WR screen.. the blocking wr fakes his block and runs a go route.

At the end of the day though I think the #1 thing is to take what the defense is giving. Use motion and PA passing to keep the defense on their heels. Once you take a defense out of attack mode you’ll be able to run the ball. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 63 Comments