Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

This Day in Buckeye Football History, Sept 21:

+9 HS
CreekBuck's picture
September 21, 2022 at 11:19pm
19 Comments

I’ve always enjoyed the numerous stories about Buckeye Lore. Jack Park is the best OSU Historian IMO. Ramzy does an awesome job of retelling OSU past triumphs and tribulations. Because I’m a big history buff and love the Buckeyes, I’d thought I’d go back and see what happened in Buckeye Lore on Sept 21.  I used my birth year, 1968,  as a starting point and moved forward and let’s just say September 21 has been very, very, very good to the Buckeyes. I’m no writer or wordsmith,  I hope you enjoy this as much as I did writing it up.

2019: OSU Mauled Miami 76-5. Miami was actually winning 5-0 before Justin Fields and the Buckeyes shook off the rust and rolled the Red Hawks. Justin had 6 TDs, 4 passing, 2 running.  Backup QB Chugunov and Hoak got in on the act with 2 and 1 passing TDs respectively.  Jamo had a TD as did Steele (8 car 63yds leading rusher) and Crowley scored as well.  Offense had 601 total yards, and 30 1st downs. The defense was led by Chase Young’s 2 qb strip sack fumbles and Dallas Gant’s 5 tackles held Miami to 130 total yards.  Oh how the names have changed but the results are the same.

2013: OSU Routes the Rattlers 76-0 In place of Braxton Miller, Kenny G plays sweet music over Florida A&M to the tune of a school record 6 TD passes.  Freshmen Ezekiel Elloitt announces his presence with 162 yards and 2 TDs (over 60% of Zeke’s season totals, 262 yds). Cardale Jone caps the scoring with a TD run.  Offense totals 603 yards, 34 1stcdowns, and punts just once.  OSU’s Doran Grant blocked a punt.  Bradley Ribey had an interception he ran back to Rattler 5 yd line.  Florida A&M highlight was going to be the Marching 100 Band but due to a hazing incident did not travel to Columbus, disappointing Buckeye fans.  

2002: OSU Survives Cincinnati 23-19.  OSU playing without Maurice Clarett committed numerous 1st half mistakes; 2 INTs, 1 fumble, and a Chris Gamble’s 96-yard kickoff TD negated on a holding penalty.  But OSU was only down 12-7 at half.  Darrion Scott gave the Buckeyes a chance with a strip sack midway in the 4th qtr. Krenzel weaving and collapsing for 6 yards into ez with under 4 mins to play gave OSU the lead. Bearcats marched 65 yds  to OSU 15 with a little over a minute to play.  Cincy receiver dropped a sure TD on 1st down. An incomplete pass on 2nd down. A pass that squeezed out of the diving grasp of Bearcat receiver. Bearcats down 4 points due to missed XP earlier were forced to go for it on 4th down.  With 32 seconds remaining Guidugli threw to middle of ez where the ball was tipped by Matt Wilhelm and intercepted by Will Allen killing the Bearcats shot at an upset of the #6 Buckeyes.  The first of many heart attacks that season.

1996: OSU Plaster Panthers 72-0.  Buckeyes ran all over the Panthers for 369 yds.  Joe Montgomery and Pepe Pearson both finished with over 100 yds.  Joe Germaine was a perfect 8-8 passing, 139 yds, 2 TDs.  David Boston capped the scoring with a 66 punt return. OSU scored on its 1st 10 possessions, 9 TDs, 1 FG. OSU finished with 602 total yards. Big Kat and the Silver Bullets held Pitt to 4 1st downs, 120 yards total offense and forced 3 turnovers. Pitt HC  Johnny Majors was quoted, “They made an effort to keep it under 70 points and we wouldn't let them do it. I'm not being sarcastic, that's a fact.”

1991: OSU Runs by WSU 33-19. Kirk Herbstreit’s 1st start leads Buckeyes over Drew Bledsoe and the Cougars. Overall statically speaking teams were pretty even, total yards OSU 479, WSU 449. 24 1st downs OSU, 28 for WSU.  The difference is OSU 321 rushing yards and 2 TDs. OSU raced out to 21-0 lead on a Herbstreit TD pass, a Roger Harper 42 yd pick 6, and a Carlos Snow TD run.  Steve Tovar finished OSU scoring on a 96 yd interception return on WSU 2 pt after TD try.

1985: OSU Tramples Buffalos 36-13. OSU uses a balanced attack ( 162 rush yds/181 pass yds) to reel off 36 straight points after Colorado scored first 7 points.  OSU defense controlled Buffs Wishbone, limiting them to 252 tot yards while inducing 4 turnovers. Buckeyes were led by Keith  Byars sub John Woolridge, who rambled for 123 yds and a TD.  Jim Karsatos was an outstanding 18-26, 181 yds, 3 TDs; including one to Cris Carter.

1974: OSU Tames SMU Mustangs 28-9.  Archie Griffin and Brian Baschnagel powered the Buckeye rushing attack, 159 yds and 140 yds respectively. Baschnagel accomplished his yards on only 7 carries, SMU was repeatedly fooled by the reverse. Woody seemed less than pleased with the overall effort by the #1 Buckeyes, “If you’re supposed to improve football games, we didn’t do much of that today.”

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 19 Comments