Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

2022 TAILGATE FARE - WEEK TWO: SMOKED PIG SHOTS

+17 HS
osurox's picture
September 8, 2022 at 11:16am
27 Comments

Good morning Dubbers! What a game last week against the golden domers. While the offense seemed to struggle a bit, a win is a win...and the silver bullets are back!

It's week two, and the competition this week is nowhere close to last - see below; the Bucks win in a blowout and starters rest all the 4th quarter. Here's to seeing why there's all the Heisman hype for Stroud, Henderson and Williams going off, and our defense looking even more impressive while pitching a shutout!

Now, onto the good stuff - the food. I tried to find something to make in honor of our opponent, but anytime I see the word Arkansas, I can't help but remember Bert making one of the greatest memories of all time. With that said, Butch Jones is the Arkansas State coach, and both Bert/Butch remind me of a particular farm animal, which is the inspiration for this week's menu. 

Smoked Pig Shots

Ingredients

• 1 (8 oz) block of cream cheese
  • 2 jalapeno peppers, diced
  • 2 Cups shredded cheddar cheese
  • 3 Tablespoons your favorite bbq rub - I have been using Kinders recently
  • 1 pack of thick cut bacon
  • 1 pack of your favorite smoked sausage (I like andouille)

Directions

• Preheat smoker to 350F (can be a grill with indirect cooking or an oven if needed, just keep an eye on the bacon so it doesn't burn). Apple wood chips are a must.
  • Combine cream cheese, shredded cheese, diced jalapeno, and seasonings in a bowl
  • Cut bacon strips in half
  • Cut the sausage into 1/2 inch thick chunks
  • Build the pig shots; Wrap a half-slice of bacon around each piece of sausage, securing with a toothpick, to create mini "bowls". Fill the bowl with the cheese mixture. epeat until all sausage chunks arein use.
  • Sprinkle a little more bbq rub on top
  • Arrange the pig shots, cream cheese side up, on the smoker. Cook until the bacon is crispy and golden brown, about 45-60 minutes. Check @ the 30 minute mark, as sometimes they cook faster 
  • Remove and let cool for a few minutes before eating - these will burn your mouth ala Luther on Coach

Pro Tips

• For more bbq flavor, add the rub to the sausage chunks and bacon (both sides) before assembling.
  • For extra heat, add some cayenne or chipotle pepper to the mix 
  • Drizzle some bbq sauce, hot sauce, honey etc. in the last 5 minutes of the cook
  • Serve with ranch or blue cheese to help cool the heat down

Go Bucks!

Previous editions of TGF 

11W Tailgate Cookbook 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 27 Comments