Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

New Transfer Rule Should Not Affect the Depth Chart

0 HS
JTFor President2016's picture
May 24, 2021 at 4:26pm
49 Comments

Recently, I was reading through some comments on the QB State of the Position article. To be honest, I was getting a little aggravated with all of the transfer talk. I get it, with the new rule in place, it is going to be extremely hard to keep every recruit in a Buckeye jersey for 3-5 years. But that should not have even be discussed when the depth chart is set. 

It seems like every thread on the QB's basically goes like this:

1.  If Stroud/Miller gets the job, then McCord transfers. Ewers sits for 1 year, and then starts
  2. If McCord wins the job, then Stroud/Miller transfer, and Ewers may also decommit because he would have to sit 2 years behind McCord. 

Both of those statements may be true, but that should not even creep into Ryan Day's mind as he is making his decision. Players decommit and transfer all of the time. Sometimes for reasons that you have no control over. The only thing you have control over is the next game. 

You see the same thing in the WR room. Guys are going to transfer. But should the staff have ran more plays for Jameson Williams to keep him happy? No, because that takes plays away from Olave and Wilson. Should the staff force feed Julian Fleming into the rotation to ensure a younger player doesn't overtake him, and make him transfer? No. 

A theoretical. If McCord is a little better than Stroud and Miller, then you start McCord, even if that leads to Stroud and Miller transferring, and leaving your QB room depleted. End of story, case closed. Coaches can't let this new transfer rule hold them hostage when making decisions. The best player plays. 

You have to remember it is a 2 way street. We will lose some. But we will also get some in return. We aren't in the playoff last year if that wasn't the case. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 49 Comments