Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

2015 and Saban, Urban, Wooden, Lombardi, Auerbach, Auriemma , Jackson, Belichick.

+1 HS
Sonof'47alum's picture
January 12, 2021 at 12:36pm
5 Comments

Like at least some of you, I enjoy sports history.  As part of that, let me start off with kudos to Nick Saban on what he has now accomplished.  His run at Alabama, coupled with his title at LSU, unequivocally establishes him as having achieved one of the greatest periods of dominance and sustained success in professional and college sports.

Of the coaches listed above—all of whom I have witnessed during my lifetime, I consider John Wooden’s 10 titles in 12 years (including seven in a row) the most incredible accomplishment of all, but I fully recognize that’s open to debate.

But here’s the thing: at the start of the 2015 season, Ohio State was coming off a CFP win over Saban and Alabama, had tremendous talent coming back, and Urban had just won his third national title—and trailed Nick by only one in that category.

There was actually discussion back then about who was the best coach in the modern college football era: Nick or Urban.  And I felt that, at that point, a strong argument could be made for Urban based on his success in instantly turning around and/or improving programs wherever he went—and he had a seemingly better record than Nick in that regard.

So imagine this: suppose Ohio State gets into the 2015/16 CFP and Urban wins his 4th national title (and, in the process, deprives Saban of his 5th).  Does the trajectory of the two programs somehow change at that point?  Does Ohio State go on to win even additional national championships?

I’m really up in the air about this.  But, I will tell you this: I feel much worse about the lost opportunity in 2015 than I do about last night.

I would be curious to hear people’s opinions about any part of my post.  Thanks and, let me add, I am still very happy to have Ryan Day leading the program.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 5 Comments