Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Promoting OCs/DCs From Within

0 HS
buckeyeguy0615's picture
January 12, 2021 at 6:44am
36 Comments

What is your take on promoting OCs and DCs from within the program? Should we keep doing it? Is it proving to be a bad strategy? Promoting a DB coach, OL coach, WR coach, etc. to an OC/DC position at Ohio State is forcing them into a situation where their first experience with that much responsibility is at a big time program. They simply may not be ready for that.

Yes, technically Coombs went to Tennessee, but only as a secondary coach, so he never had DC experience before coming back.

Ed Warinner - do I even need to elaborate on this one?

I suppose there are exceptions such as Ryan Day, who was a co-OC and QB coach, but we already had a successful OC in Wilson for Day to learn under, and a lot of the OC duties would have fallen on Wilson.

On the flip side, you can also hire bad OCs with experience from outside the program (ex. Tim Beck), but those are simply your hiring practices, and considering Beck's history, he probably should have never been hired in the first place.

One big reason to promote would be so you don't lose your top recruiters to other programs. Would we promote Hartline for this reason?

Ultimately, I want your opinions. Is it wise to promote position coaches from within (Coombs/Warinner) to their first OC/DC gig at a big time program? Or does it make more sense to search for coaches with proven success (Tom Herman, Kevin Wilson, Marcus Freeman)?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 36 Comments