Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Clemson Defense- Let's Talk X's and O's

+9 HS
FeedZeke420's picture
December 30, 2020 at 6:58pm
56 Comments

I thought it would be fun to talk Xs and Os before we beat down Clemson on Friday night. I’m no expert by any means but I love the strategy of the game and watching individual battles between players. I figured I would share some observations that I have made from watching our opponent as well as our beloved buckeyes. Please chime in, share observations, share individual battles we are excited about or tell me to go fuck myself lol.  I thought we could just share some insight for things to watch for on Friday night for us nerds/coaches/former players.

From reading about and watching clemson A few things iv noticed

1. They play a lot of cover 3 disguised by having to safeties high. Or a 3 deep 2 under concept. 

2. They bring a lot of 6 man pressures with the defensive end responsible for peeling off to cover a running back if he runs out into the flats.

3. They have usually a safety and linebacker who’s responsibilities consist of reacting to the QBs eyes. 

4. they thrive on confusing the quarterback and rushing them in making poor decisions.

What do I expect from our guys to counter the Clemson defense?

I think our pass protection is going to be key in this game. I am not worried about us being able to run the ball I just hope we don’t abandon it trying to throw homeruns and killing drives by getting sacked and getting behind the chains. 

If I’m Coach Day I would call a few draws and screens to counter clemsons aggressiveness. I also think this may finally be the game we get the tight ends involved in the pass game. Fields is going to need an outlet when they do get pressure on him and Clemson does a good job of covering the back with their ends.

so things I’m excited to watch

1. how our pass rush holds up

2. Fields decisions when he’s under extreme pressure

i predict our guys will get open quite a bit and the slobs will hold their own and fields will play great for an easier than expected buckeye victory. What day you?

Mod Edit- Fixed your title

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 56 Comments