Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Can Ohio State Easily Leave the B1G?

+2 HS
Mnelason's picture
August 29, 2020 at 8:16pm
83 Comments

Lots of angry comments here lately understandably suggesting OSU "leave" the conference. Does anybody here really know what the B1G charter/bylaws/contract(s) have to say about members exiting? I have tried researching this online and found very little. One item was an 8 year old Forbes article about the then ACC's punitive exit fee that had an unfortunately brief rundown of the major conferences' exit provisions, stating about B1G "No exit fee, but conference has grant of media rights through at least 2027". I ran across another article I can't re-track down right now that also referenced an exit fee consisting of 15 years of future TV revenue for members who leave without the agreement of the conference. If this is true and enforceable (and as an attorney I can't see a reason it wouldn't be) it obviously means no B1G team would ever reasonably be able to consider leaving the conference unless they successfully negotiated down the cost like Maryland and Rutgers apparently did with their former conferences when they decided to join the B1G. Does anybody at all have any verifiable information about B1G's exit provisions?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 83 Comments