Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Does College Sports Cancellation Prove That Coaching Pros is Best?

0 HS
DaytonTripleBuck's picture
August 11, 2020 at 7:16pm
4 Comments

So, now that the season is cancelled and the Buckeyes are confirmed to not be playing in another conference this fall, all in less than 24 hours since Coach Day's media push basically asking the administrators to delay to late September/October, not postpone, how long do you think it'll be before Coach Day makes the jump back to the NFL/do you think this pushes him toward that route sooner?

If today isn't an indicator of the lack of institutional sway that a college football coach has, I don't know what is. To be honest, that they couldn't even wait a single day for Day (no pun intended) or any of the other coaches that stood up yesterday is pretty insulting. And especially if the SEC and ACC end up playing, I don't see how a coach with Day's capabilities sees this - even with Ohio State's institutional dominance - as his best situation.

Before people comment that "ouR aDmiNistRAtorS VoTed tO dELaY!!! aPolOGize!!" that doesn't really change my point. Coach Day put himself out there with a pretty reasonable request and has been almost immediately shot down by the Big Ten (on delay) and to a lesser extent Gene Smith (on not even looking for other options). If anything, the Ohio State administration's dissent from the Big Ten furthers my point, in that even the most supportive leadership at Ohio State couldn't have helped Day here.

Again, I'm not trying to complain about the leadership, I'm trying to see whether people think this is a likely effect of this decision (sort of like how Woody's recruiting took a dip after the 1961 Rose Bowl faculty vote). I think this is a pretty fair issue to discuss, given that this year pretty clearly highlights the differences between coaching amateur student-athletes and professionals (see March Madness and the NBA). Heck, we can apply this logic to crazy jimmy, Franklin, Frost, or any of the other coaches that have stood up over the past few days (though I of course think Day is the best NFL coaching candidate of all of them).

(If this has been discussed in another thread, MODs please close. I tried to check, but people are obviously commenting quite a bit right now.)

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 4 Comments