Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

2020 Buckeyes Schedule According to FPI

+4 HS
MiamiBuckeye's picture
February 18, 2020 at 6:26pm
39 Comments

Yesterday the first preseason FPI rankings were released: https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28708116/2020-preseason...

Ohio State is ranked second place, after only Clemson. Ohio State is seen as the 2nd best offense heading into the season (after Oklahoma) and the 6th best defense. The defensive rating surprised me a bit, as I would have expected with all our losses we'd be more like 10-12. 

Now what about Ohio State's 2020 opponents? 

FPI has four Ohio State opponents ranked in the top 25: Penn State (5), Oregon (14) (their defense is rated 3rd in the nation!), Michigan (16), and, in something of a head-scratcher, Nebraska (22). 

Ohio State also has two opponents just missing out, Indiana (26) and Iowa (27). Michigan State (58), Illinois (65), Maryland (68), and Buffalo (71) make up the middle tier of Ohio State's schedule, while Rutgers (83) and Bowling Green (127) comprise the sacrificial lambs. 

I really don't see the Nebraska hype. I get Scott Frost did great things at UCF, and Nebraska probably will be better than last year, but the Big Ten West is a tougher conference than it used to be, and I don't think Nebraska are going to suddenly be contenders. Iowa on the other hand seems slightly undervalued, although FPI is probably dinging them because they're losing their standout players to the draft. 

Michigan State's lowly ranking is a sign of how far that program has fallen in the eyes of prognosticators and pundits. 

All in all, Ohio State looks to have a pretty respectable schedule. Penn State and Oregon are obviously going to be the games that are toughest, but I'd also expect at least one of those middle teams (Indiana? Illinois?) to give us an early scare before getting plastered. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 39 Comments