Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Nebraska, Oklahoma, Michigan, and Ohio State

+3 HS
Sonof'47alum's picture
September 27, 2019 at 3:00pm
42 Comments

Nebraska was a powerhouse that won their first natty when I was in high school and remained a force in college football for a good part of the next 30 years.

That ‘95 team ranks right up there with the all-time great teams in college history.

But, in the past two decades, they have been far less relevant and have not kept up with their rival of many years.  That sounds very familiar, right?  (Although, in Nebraska’s case, they have been I suppose smart enough to stop playing Oklahoma.)

Does anyone here know enough about Nebraska vs Oklahoma to explain why the program couldn’t keep up with their longtime peer?  Does it have to do with the coaching hires during that time period?  In other words, if Nebraska had hired someone like Tress years ago, would they be in a better position today?

By the way, I commend them for hiring Scott Frost—and maybe he will do for them (as an alum hire) what Harbaugh has failed to do up north.

Also, if you enjoy watching vintage rivalry footage, check out 1971 Nebraska vs Oklahoma.  It doesn’t get much better than that.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 42 Comments