Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

An Ode to the Coaching Staff

+11 HS
You can't spell chump without UM's picture
September 16, 2019 at 11:53am
25 Comments

It may be too early to be doing this, but I don't give a shit.

The 2019 season is still young. But after only three games, isn't it refreshing to have a quality coaching staff that appears to have zero liabilities? No chants of "Fire Fickell" or forum posts of how much Tom Herman sucks as the OC. It seems through Meyer's tenure, there was always at least one coach who stuck out like a drag queen in a beauty pageant. The exception being the final three games of 2014. Yes, even Zach Smith was receiving heaps of praise for how the receivers performed during that stretch. 

I could throw names out there like Withers, Smith, Warinner, Beck, Davis, Schiano, Taver, or Grinch; but I don't want to, and more importantly, I don't have to. Through three games this season, every unit has played admirably.

Ryan Day has had a near flawless first three games into his (non-interim) coaching tenure. Kevin Wilson has the offense rolling in every facet thus far. Mike Yurcich has Justin Fields living up, if not surpassing, his mountainous hype. Tony Alford, who was criticized by some in the off-season for missing on a few recruits, has J.K. Dobbins looking like a refined version of his freshman self, as well as having his heir apparent Master Teague preparing for a bell cow type career beginning next year. Brian Hartline may just be the best receivers coach and recruiter in the sport. And Greg Studrawa, another coach who's been criticized by many of the Buckeye faithful for inconsistent play from his unit, has the slobs currently feasting on opposing D-lines, primarily on the refurbishes running game.

But as much praise as I've given the offensive staff, no amount of character space would be enough to satisfy the acclaim the defensive staff warrants. After, statistically, the worst defense in the 129 year history of Ohio State football last season, the Silver Bullets are allowing only 10.3 points per game. If you haven't read Kyle Jones's Film Study on the revamped defense, first off, I highly recommend you do so, and secondly, it's apparent that there isn't really anything exotic in terms of scheme that they're doing. It's mostly good technique being taught, and proper utilization of elite talent.

When discussing the defense, I must begin with Larry Johnson. There's a good reason he was the only defensive assistant retained by Day. If nothing else, just look at how Chase Young has started the season. He could potentially be on his way to a record shattering season, and may just be the first Buckeye taken #1 overall in the NFL Draft since Orlando Pace. Greg Mattison has been sensational in his defensive calls thus far. There was a lot of skepticism considering where he had coached for the previous seven seasons, but he's been nothing short of marvelous thus far. Al Washington has the linebackers looking like they're coached by Luke Fickell again. Players like Baron Browning, Pete Werner, and Tuf Borland, who struggled immensely under Bill Davis, have performed mightily. And Jeff Hafley may be the best hire in all of college football this past offseason. He's taken awful angles by the safeties and broken coverages by the corners last season and made it a hazard for opposing QBs to throw the ball past ten yards. He may not veins pumped full of Red Bull ala Kerry Coombs, but he's just as good a coach. Is it too early to call him the Red Scarlet Baron? Because he's coordinating a No Fly Zone... Meh. I'll leave the nicknames to others.

The point of this prolonged ramble disguised as a forum post is to acknowledge and appreciate this coaching staff, and Ryan Day for an almost flawless transition from Meyer. It won't be long till other schools, or even NFL teams, come to try and poach the assistants. So let's enjoy this ride while we can. Again, the season is still Young; but the Chase has officially restarted.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 25 Comments