Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

The Trifecta

+2 HS
Sonof'47alum's picture
May 20, 2019 at 11:21am
23 Comments

I read a little while back that Dan Marino never won a championship at any level: high school, college, or pro.  And I think I had read the same factoid about Terrell Owens.  Obviously these are two all-time greats and their “falling short” is a perfect illustration of how one’s ultimate success in football, like in any team sport, is dependent on who your teammates are and the era you are playing in.  (Believe me, I know this very well from having season tickets during the Patrick Ewing era where there were some “fans” who questioned Patrick’s abilities to help lead the Knicks to the promised land, notwithstanding his remarkable play in the NBA and his legacy at Georgetown.)

Of course, there are other great players who have the opposite record.  I know, having been a Buckeyes fan since the 1960s (and having grown up in the NYC metro area), that Jack Tatum hit the trifecta of titles: he won a high school state championship in New Jersey, a natty at Ohio State, and the Super Bowl with the Raiders.

I imagine there were other Buckeye football players who achieved this treble—either pre-Super Bowl or in the Super Bowl era.  Does anyone know who those players are.

Last, but not least, Jerry Lucas has the great fortune of winning on four levels (and I would think was probably among the first to do so): high school, college, Olympic Gold Medal, and NBA (with the Knicks!)

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 23 Comments