Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. Projects Terry McLaurin As a First-Round Pick

Dan Hope's picture
March 26, 2019 at 10:16am
81 Comments

Coming off of an excellent week at the Senior Bowl, running a 4.35-second 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine and most recently, another impressive performance at Ohio State's pro day, could Terry McLaurin be a first-round pick in the NFL draft?

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. thinks so. In his third mock draft of the season on Tuesday, Kiper projected that the Indianapolis Colts could select McLaurin with the No. 26 overall pick in this year's draft.

26. Indianapolis Colts

Terry McLaurin, WR, Ohio State

There are several wide receivers extremely close on my board, all with late Day 1 or early Day 2 grades. That includes Oklahoma's Marquise Brown, who hasn't been able to work out for teams because of a foot injury, and Ole Miss' A.J. Brown, whom I had here in my Mock Draft 2.0. It also includes McLaurin, a true speed threat who averaged 20.0 yards per catch last season. The 6-foot, 208-pound wideout ran a blazing 4.35 40 at the combine. Andrew Luck needs better weapons at wideout, even after Indy added Devin Funchess in free agency.

While the consensus among draft projections seems to be that McLaurin will be selected somewhere between the second and fourth rounds, he's had a meteoric rise over the course of the NFL draft process. McLaurin's agent, Buddy Baker, tweeted after Ohio State's pro day that one NFL team told McLaurin "to make sure his phone is on during Day One of the NFL draft."

Kiper's mock also projects that the San Francisco 49ers will select Ohio State defensive end Nick Bosa with the No. 2 overall pick and the New York Giants will select Ohio State quarterback Dwayne Haskins with the No. 6 overall pick, as have been the most popular projected landing spots for both of those former Buckeyes. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 81 Comments