Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Does Anyone Have Any Specific Memories of These Screwups Against TTUN?

+5 HS
Sonof'47alum's picture
March 7, 2019 at 12:10pm
54 Comments

Because I sure don’t.  Below is from a newspaper account of the great 1970 20-9 payback win over TTUN:

”At times Ohio State appeared almost ’superpsyched.’ Four times in the first 12 minutes the Buckeyes lined up with only 10 men on the field. On one series Coach Woody Hayes, ebullient and anxious, in a white, short‐sleeve shirt and his familiar black baseball cap, lost track of the action and sent in his punting team on second down.”

I mean, I was really psyched for that game as a fan so I can only begin to imagine how fired up the team was for this.  But still...

I just have no recollection though of this stuff happening early in the game.  I guess it goes to show that even the very best can get perhaps too caught up in the emotions of the biggest game.

As for the end of the game, I love this description of the action:

”As students and fans poured onto the field after the game, Hayes symbolically found his way to the game ball, grabbed it, clutched it tightly in his right arm like a full back and ran off the field”

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 54 Comments