Ohio State football fan talk.

Assistant Coaches - Meeting with the Media - 02/06/2019 - Quick Hitters

+2 HS
chibucks's picture
February 6, 2019 at 11:28am
26 Comments

Watching it live online - here's a few quick takes:

Mattison:

- I've coached for some great coaches...  Hoke, Harbaugh (gross...)...  Day is special (coached at FL together)

- Will always coach players the best they could be coached 

- As far as the rivalry, when you leave people you've been with for 13 years, it's one of the hardest things...  I'll give everything to the people I work with.

- When were you approached and what was Harbaugh's reaction?  Coach Day approached me on the job - Coach Harbaugh was great and understood that I wanted to coordinate.  Hardest thing was calling the players. 

Hafley:

- Are you a scheme guy or take talent and work with it - what are your philosophies -->  Both - we need to make it easy for the players to play fast.

- How do you evaluate the players --> Best players are going to play.

- Young coaching staff?  -->  Don't look at age - there are good coaches around - old and young - great group.

- 7 years since you've been out recruiting - how do you deal with 18 year old kids?  What's Coach Day's expectations?  -> Recruit the best players, getting used to traveling - need to work to get them.

- NFL vs college - all players want to be told what to do and how to do it after you've established the relationship.  All about the relationship.

- What did Ryan Day want fixed on defense?  -->  He didn't talk about fixing anything - our job is to get better fundamentally and scheme.  

- Had opportunities to coordinate - had opportunities to coordinate at the right place with the right people who are going to treat people the right way - this place is special

- How much are you going to be in Nickel?  -->  Depends on how we match up.  Rotating CBs.

- For the fans -->  Do you want your corners turning and looking for the ball?  DB Coaches teach them to turn and look for the football!!!!  When we are in man, we will be turning - but depends on part of the field you're on.

- Coaching from the box or the field?  TBD...

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 26 Comments