Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Trying to Run the Table

+1 HS
Sonof'47alum's picture
January 19, 2019 at 12:31am
17 Comments

It’s tough to have a perfect season.  

I was well aware Ohio State only had three such seasons in the past half century.  (And I can still clearly recall a variety of losses that prevented the Buckeyes from running the table.)

But what really surprised me was discovering that Alabama also has only had three perfect seasons in the past 50 years.  

I guess I was surprised given how many national titles Alabama has won in that time period—9—compared to Ohio State’s 4.  (And, as we all know, one of Ohio State’s perfect seasons—2012—didn’t even result in a natty because the team was ineligible to play in the postseason.)

Both Alabama and Ohio State each had one natty—in 1973 and 1970, respectively—based on a selection prior to their bowl losses in those seasons.  

But the others were based on their final season records, which means that, in the past 50 years (and actually the past 40 years), Alabama has managed to earn 5 nattys in seasons where they have had one one loss.

I wish Ohio State had some of the good fortune Alabama has had with one-loss seasons leading to nattys.  

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 17 Comments