Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Expectations for the 2019-2020 Season and the Ryan Day Era

+41 HS
OsuSuperman's picture
January 14, 2019 at 6:40pm
134 Comments

Good evening 11W, I just hit my 100 helmet stickers so I am enthusiastically writing my first post.

Now that the recruiting class and coaching staff seem to be in place, I would like to hear everybody's thoughts and expectations for the upcoming season.

My expectations for next year are sky high, especially if Justin Fields gains immediate eligibility. Urban has built a well-oiled machine and Ryan Day, who has by far the most amount of talent on the field in big ten play, should continue with the tremendous success our program has become accustomed to under Meyer. 

There is absolutely no reason that we cannot be an undefeated Big 10 champion. Ryan Day has shown all of us how effective his pass attack can be and now that it's his show I expect him to crank up the heat. Fields is supposed to be a gifted passer, and with all of the veteran weapons he will have at his disposal (KJ Hill, Austin Mack, Ben Victor) we should be able to pass on anybody. Keep in mind we also have a budding superstar in Chris Olave and a soon to be freshman phenom in Garrett Wilson.

I anticipate the offense will be pass first again this season but JK Dobbins is an NFL talent and he has the ability to put the team on his shoulders if he has to. With nobody to share his workload, I would expect he has at least 1400 yards on the season. I hope Master Teague or one of the other young running back starts to set themselves apart because this will probably be Dobbins last year in a Buckeye uniform.

The oline might be a little green to start the year but I would expect them to hit their stride toward the end of the season. I thought coach Stud was excellent in coaching our guys up for pass protection. I would like to see some improvement with our run blocking this season.

Like many Buckeye fans, our defense is where I am hoping we see the biggest changes. Coach Day seems to have heard our calls. I love that he is already throwing his weight around in the Big Ten and has absolutely bullied Harbaugh without even coaching a game.

Our D-Line will be excellent as we have come to expect year in and year out. Our LBs and DBs are where we should see the most improvement. I have heard nothing but great things about Coach Hafley. He has a veteran group to work with so I do not anticipate DB play being a huge issue. I would just like to see a reduction in big plays and less pass interference calls.

Coach Washington has his fair share of work cut out for him. Malik Harrison played excellent down the stretch and I fully expect him to be in the starting lineup. I would not be disappointed if Tuf Borland and Pete Werner were moved to back up roles. They just seemed way too slow and I'd like to see someone else get a shot.

On defense we really do not have anywhere to go but up. I expect all of the changes that Day has made to have a positive impact on our unit. Let's just hope we do not have to see our Buckeyes struggle defensively through games like Maryland, Indiana, Nebraska, and Minnesota this year.

I wholeheartedly expect the Buckeyes to be in the College Football Playoff at the end of the season. I also anticipate that we will be national champions in either the 2019, 2020, or 2021 season (maybe more than one time).

Please share your thoughts on where you think the program is headed! Our future is very bright!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 134 Comments