Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Fields AND Jalen Hurts on OSU'S Roster?

+9 HS
Chicago Connection's picture
January 11, 2019 at 4:40am
74 Comments

Yeah, I know it sounds crazy, but actually, it's not impossible, which is crazy in itself. In fact, all it takes are three simple steps:

1) Tate Martell gets a transfer offer from a major program that he can't refuse and so leaves Ohio State by the end of January;
2) Justin Field's waiver is denied by the NCAA in February, meaning that the Buckeyes now only have two QBs on the roster featuring red-shirt Matthew Baldwin as the presumptive starter, even though he hasn't played since high school. 
3) Jalen Hurts, who has one more year of eligibility left and is looking for the best possible option to finish out his college career and develop himself as a passer for the NFL, transfers to Ohio State.

Note that as a graduate transfer, Hurts wouldn't have to get a waiver from the NCAA--he can immediately play for any team in the nation this fall.

Now, I'm not saying that I want any of the above things to happen, and I'm also not predicting they will happen, however, given recent developments, it's not nearly as impossible as it seems.

After all, Tate IS making himself eligible to transfer; Fields already HAS transferred to OSU and very well MIGHT BE denied a waiver; and Hurts IS seeking to transfer the best available landing spot.

it's wild to think that barely a year has passed since Georgia was set to square off against Alabama in the National Championship, and for that matter, it's only been a matter of weeks since Georgia and Alabama faced off against each other in the SEC Championship. But still...

Imagine if God himself sat next to you before either game and said:

"Look, kid, here's a little inside information: One of the QBs on these teams is going to be knocked out of the game before it's over, and while I don't want to spoil the ending for you, I will tell you this... in 2019, both Jalen Hurts and Justin Fields will be on Ohio State's roster, and in fact, both of them will be hoping to be starting QBs for the Buckeyes by Fall."

You'd probably say, "Look, God, I know how you've always been right--what with your omniscience and all that, but c'mon--no way in Hell that's happenin'! In fact, I don't even think it's possible."

And yet, here we are in January of 2019, and technically...

It IS possible.

Just sayin'.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 74 Comments