Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

RYAN DAY's Best Sell & Most Savage Move -- Recruiting Urban Meyer

+6 HS
ShawneeBuck74's picture
January 10, 2019 at 12:25pm
29 Comments

I like Ryan Day. Like most here, I was worried (slightly) he'd be too soft to make the tough decisions about player and coaching personnel to keep us elite. Thought he was a very good coach but didn't feel his game planning was truly elite until the TTUN game (TBH). 

NOW, I think (hope) we have our very own Dabo situation (without the aww shucks smarminess). Meaning I think we have an intelligent, adaptable, and "nice" guy relatable coach that Dabo is perceived to be. Dabo is savage though. Benched his QB1 and turned to a true freshman. Won the natty. Cold blooded.

Out of ALL of Day's moves... convincing Meyer that he was "elite" and would be able to take over Ohio State and even take it to greater heights is his most savage and best sales job. I mean, Luke Fickell has two years experience and turned around Cincy fast and is a true Ohio State guy. Mike Vrabel may have taken the call to come back. Matt Campbell, etc., etc. Heck, even Schiano would be a good head coach in Urban's mold. 

In less than two year's time, Day earned Urban's trust and praise over all these guys. Urban is one of the greatest college football coaches of all time. Day convinced Urban that he was capable of leading Ohio State and following his legacy here. That's the most impressive thing he's done. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 29 Comments