Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Better to Stick With the 4-3 or Use a 4-2-5 for Our Linebackers Next Season?

0 HS
mmp15f's picture
January 9, 2019 at 3:20pm
31 Comments

I've thought of this based on the defensive coaches Day has added, and based on our personnel. The D-line and defensive back spots are, for the most part, set in stone so I'm only going to discuss the linebacker positions here. I think that either scheme could work, and I want to give my predictions of what each could look like. Share your thoughts.

Assuming our base defense is still a 4-3/4-3 under, I predict a 2-deep of:

Sam: 1) M. Harrison, 2) K. Jones

Mike: 1) T. Mitchell, 2) J. Hilliard/T. Borland

Will: 1) B. Browning, 2) K. Jones/P. Werner

If we see more of a 4-2-5 base defense like TTUN has used in recent years, I predict:

Mike: 1) Mitchell or Browning

Will: 1) Harrison

Hybrid: 1) Browning or Jones or Werner

This one is harder to predict because it's not what we've been using and I only did 1-deep for that reason. We know Harrison would likely be one if the inside guys. But we don't know if the other inside backer would be somebody like Mitchell, or if Browning would be better at that position in this defense which is very likely.

The hybrid could be anyone. Werner proved to be solid in coverage for the most part so he could retain a starting spot in that defense. But, depending on what the coaches do with the inside backers, it wouldn't surprise me to see Browning or Jones take that spot. 

Share any opinions and predictions you all have.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 31 Comments