Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

When Creating a Coaching Staff, Which is More Advantageous (Pay HC or Assistants More)?

0 HS
Buckeye06's picture
January 8, 2019 at 10:27am
15 Comments

Something that I've been pondering a bit is this: I'm using hypothetical numbers that I think are pretty close to how it is/was

Let's say OSU has $10 million to spend on football coaches.

A. In 2017, Meyer made $6.5 million...his assistants made $3.5 million

B. In 2018, Day will make $4.5 million...his assistants can make $5.5 million

In today's world of CFB, do you think scenario A is better, in which you have an amazing HC, but sometimes lose "battles" on salary with other schools for position coaches, or scenario B, where the HC isn't as well known, but you have the cash to bring in much higher profile assistants?

If you asked me that question 5 years ago, I would say scenario A, but based on how recruiting has changed and how the assistants build such strong relationships with the kids, I think scenario B is the way to build going forward.

Wonder if I'm the only one who is kind of happy that with Day's lower salary, as compared to an all-timer in Meyer, OSU can be more aggressive in paying assistants

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 15 Comments