Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

In Defense of Gray-haired Buckeyes Fans

+83 HS
Sonof'47alum's picture
January 3, 2019 at 11:16am
143 Comments

I have seen more than one comment about how Buckeye crowds at different games in recent years—including the Rose Bowl—haven’t been as raucous, and part of that blame has been attributed to the “gray-haired fans” or “older fans” or I might have even seen the word “geriatric.”
So...let me give you the perspective of a fan in his mid-60s who was at the Rose Bowl, despite some serious health issues, to cheer on his beloved Buckeyes:
Because I am no longer a college student, I am no longer distracted by beautiful young women in the crowd and I am not receiving and sending a gazillion texts to friends during the game.  Nor am I posting on Instagram or Twitter during the game.
Because I am no longer in my 20s, I am not receiving and replying to texts from my boss during the game.  
Because I am no longer in my 30s, I am not receiving and replying to texts from my wife about something that has come up with the kids during the game.
Because I am no longer in my 40s or 50s and am now retired, I am not receiving and replying to texts from clients during the game.
In fact, my cell is shut off completely—because my focus is completely on the game.
So get off my lawn and learn to embrace us older Buckeyes; because hopefully you will reach our age and stage—but hopefully in good health—and you will indeed discover there are fewer distractions at that point of your life so that you can indeed focus on what you really want to.  (Obviously, if you have read this far, I hope you realize this is written mostly tongue in cheek.) O-H...

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 143 Comments