Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

OSU vs. Maryland - Is There Such a Thing As a Trap Game for Fans?

+4 HS
Large Father's picture
November 15, 2018 at 6:15pm
13 Comments

Tressels, Fickells and Urbans, 

Is there such a thing as a trap game for fans? I know Ohio State plays Maryland this weekend, but all I can think about is the big game against Michigan coming up a week from this Saturday.

I think this Ohio State team is starting to show signs of life and won’t overlook Maryland. Ohio State performed well in the second half against Michigan State after wearing them down. As I mentioned in my prediction last week, all Ohio State needed to do is either score or punt, no turnovers and no turnover on downs. They couldn’t get out of their own way against Nebraska with those two things despite technically dominating many phases of the game and playing more physical. Although the scoreboard isn’t lighting up, I’ve liked all the adjustments Ohio State is making since the Purdue debacle (and really the four games prior) including:

- Just lining up and running the ball instead of getting cutesy with run pass option plays.

- Finding the right safety combination with Brendan White joining Jordan Fuller, and having Fuller back in the game.

- Having three healthy cornerbacks and Shaun Wade rotating through on the backend of the defense, these guys struggle if they have to play many consecutive plays.

- Starting to get the defensive line healthy with Dremont getting quicker and BB Landers playing more snaps.

- Bringing in Tate Martell for short yardage situations as a change of pace and to put pressure on the defense with the threat of a running quarterback.

- Having the tailbacks lower their pads and plow through someone. There will always be an unblocked defender and sometimes they have to either be the guy or just plow him over.

- Some rotation in the linebacking corps for situational downs which helps a little bit...but they are still the weak link in the defense (in addition to the loss of quarterback pressure without Nick Bosa - the best player in college football).

- Punting as opposed to turning the ball over or turning the ball over on downs. Drue Chrisman for Heisman! The execution in that phase of the game is more often than not flawless...which is atypical for this Ohio State team with major execution troubles.

- Jumbo sets and many more plays with tight ends on the field - sometimes three at once including Wyatt Davis.  Luke Farrell is now playing nearly every snap; he's helping with blocking schemes and he's a threat in the passing game.  I think OSU finally found their guy.

Now if the Buckeyes can find the deep passing game again and get Dwayne in a rhythm, the offense could really start moving!  For the most part, Dwyane had a clean pocket last weekend, surprisingly.  In the second half against MSU, Isaiah Prince did an admirable job neutralizing #48 without any help from TE or RB blocking. 

I would love to see things come together against Maryland this weekend...and turn the corner quickly because I'm ready for Michigan week!

Touchdowns:  Dobbins, Dixon, Campbell, Weber

OSU 31 Maryland 14

Go Bucks!  Beat Maryland!  BB Landers for Heisman!

Stout Pops

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 13 Comments