Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football talk.

Why Are We Playing Nebraska for Six Straight Seasons?

+4 HS
Sideshow's picture
May 16, 2018 at 3:50pm
38 Comments

I just noticed that OSU is scheduled to play Nebraska for six straight seasons (2016-2021). I thought that, unless there was an existing rivalry (IU vs PU) between teams in the other division, that the B1G's league structure was designed for two game rotations for each of the teams in the other division, to ensure that everyone played each other as much as possible. For example, if OSU travelled to play Minnesota one year, the next year, it would host Minny. Likewise, it would  play a similar format for two other teams in the B1G West per year. The following year, it would play three other West teams. Accomplishing that with three inter-division games per year would allow a pretty good turnover of the seven teams in each division.

Anyway, I get that with seven teams in the West, you can't just rotate the same three teams evenly, but OSU is playing Nebraska for six straight seasons. I understand the idea of building a rivalry between the two biggest powers in each division, but I never heard anything about this before. Was it previously announced, or did it happen by accident? 

View 38 Comments