Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

How Will Penn State Defend the Mesh

+15 HS
JTFor President2016's picture
October 23, 2017 at 1:16pm
23 Comments

About a month ago, I posted a thread discussing the emergence of the "Mesh" play that Kevin Wilson has brought to this offense. They used it some early in the season; however, against Nebraska, we saw it in its full force and Nebraska is probably still running in circles. I will attach several videos in this thread showing the "traditional" mesh route, and then some of the counters Ohio State ran off of it to just embarrass Nebraska. I know you're probably thinking, how can one play mean so much to an offense? Well I'll put in this way. The top offense in the country so far this year is Oklahoma State (Before Texas game). Their coach Mike Gundy, said they have a TOTAL of 12 plays that they run. Only 12! However, each play can have a slight variation, such as one guy running a different route, but the essence of the play remains the same. This is a very similar approach to Kevin Wilson's. I have several videos to show; however, there are even more examples of OSU using the "Mesh" to set up a play. 

This first video shows the play in its original form, where the ultimate goal is to get the ball to Dixon in the middle of the field. The two crossing receivers draw the attention of the linebackers, which frees up the middle. I will refer to the route run by Dixon as the "Dixon Route" from now on, as he usually is in this position. 

Here we are later in the half. Same formation, same play. However, watch Marcus Baugh #85. Instead of running his normal crossing route, he instead runs right up the center of the field. This attracts the linebacker, that would have switched to covering KJ Hill had Baugh ran his normal crossing route. But since he has to cover Baugh going up the seem, the right flat is wide open for KJ to catch and run. I do not know if this was called by Wilson, or if this was something that Baugh or JT read with the coverage at the LOS, but regardless, it was well executed. 

Here were are in the third quarter. Once again this is the same "Mesh" play. On a sidenote, I love when CJ is in the game for this play, as he always attempts to high five his teammate mid-play. Back to the play. You see Mclaurin and CJ run their crossing routes. 

The differences: Typically the Tight End runs one of the crossing routes; however, that was changed to the wide receiver, with Rashod Berry running the "Dixon" route. But yet, there is another change. Instead of breaking to the inside, Berry breaks outside. Look at the two Nebraska defenders clearly defending the inside. You'll even see at the last moment before JT throws, the safety jumps forward, attempting to jump the inside route. In addition, if you want the definition of an a** whipping. Look at Terry Mclaurin. He might have scored a touchdown as well if he had gotten the ball. 

In conclusion, this play gives full control to the QB to move the zone-defense with his eyes, and also offers several variations to drive defenses crazy. I am very intrigued to see how Penn State defends this play. A zone defense requires perfect awareness and discipline to stop this play; however, you are still playing with fire. The "Mesh" is known as one of the best zone-breaking plays. 

So yes, I am waiting for a team to play us straight man-to-man. That is the best way to stop this play, which has accounted for more Buckeye touchdowns this year than any other play. You're probably wondering, if OSU loves this play, and a man defense can stop it, then why aren't teams playing man? The answer - You can't play man-to-man if you are at an athletic disadvantage. And every team since OU, has been far less athletic than the Buckeyes. If you want to see an example, Rutgers attempted man-to-man, and watch what Parris does to the man trying to cover him on the "Mesh" route. 

He simply runs away from his man and gets the edge. Penn State is more athletic, and this is one aspect of the game I cannot wait to see play out. If Penn State comes out in press man-to-man, and has the athletes to keep those crossing routes in check, it is very possible that Ohio State's favorite play over the last month, will be largely ineffective. However, if Ohio State can hit on a deep ball or two, it will make Penn State adjust, and this play should be wide open again. 

Can't wait for Saturday. Go Bucks!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 23 Comments