Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

OSU vs. IU - I'm not sure which team I like better...the 2016 Buckeyes...or my vision of the 2017 Buckeyes.

+11 HS
Large Father's picture
October 6, 2016 at 9:21pm
27 Comments

Tressels, Fickells and Urbans,

I'm not sure which team I like better...the 2016 Buckeyes...or my vision of the 2017 Buckeyes.  I know I like either more than the 2012 Buckeyes at the point in time when they took the field against Indiana in mid-October.

52-49

It was meant to be predicted out of spite.  I didn't really think that Indiana would score 49 on Ohio State...it is Indiana after all. But, up to that point the Buckeye defense was very frustrating giving up 28 to Cal and 38 to Nebraska.  This was the first year for the Urban era - things were supposed to be better than before.  Ohio State was unveiling a new college football powerhouse.  But, early that season, the defense was struggling -- the linebackers looked like they would be one of the worst units we've ever seen at Ohio State.  So, I vented and predicted OSU 52 - IU 49.  The 2012 Indiana game was the boiling point that season -- OSU really did give up 49 points -- which prompted Urban to move one of his senior captains, Zach Boren, from fullback on the offensive side of the ball to linebacker on the defensive side.  A player who had no clue what he was doing on defense was better than the alternative.  

...and Ohio State went on to finish the 2012 season undefeated...and so began the Urban era.

Now, fast forward deeper into the Urban era to a time when every player on the roster has been recruited by Urban's staff...and trained under Mickey Marotti for their entire college career.  We don't see fullbacks moving to linebacker mid-season out of necessity anymore.  This 2016 Ohio State team is a machine.  Sometimes things happen in the wrong order...we thought the 2015 team was a force, but I'm not so sure anymore.  This year's team is on a different level...it's a monster on every level - conditioning, talent, coaching, attitude, preparation...everything.

What struck me last weekend against Rutgers is that many of my favorite players are freshman...and it's hard to tell them from the upperclassmen.  This Buckeye team is so incredibly young.  There was a moment in the second quarter last weekend where nearly 50% of the offensive players in the game were freshman - Mike Weber, Michael Jordan, Austin Mack, Bin Victor and A.J. Alexander....and they were marching right down the field with precision.  Then, later in the game, two of my favorite defensive linemen - #67 Robert Landers and #97 Nick Bosa - both had sacks...and, as you probably guessed, they are both freshmen. In the second half, one of the most electric players on the OSU roster, #30 Damario McCall, was unstoppable...and, yes, also a freshman.

For today, I like the 2016 Buckeyes...and I can't wait to see what happens over the next eight games because this thing is just getting started.  There's something very interesting happening with the Ohio State football program right now and it's going to be a great show. 

Touchdowns:  Mike Weber, Curtis Samuel, Dontre, Noah Brown, Parris Campbell, Damario McCall, Malik Hooker

OSU 52 IU 9

Go Bucks!  Beat IU!  Dante Booker for Heisman! 

Fleshy Pappy

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 27 Comments