Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

How is it determined whether it's the play calling, execution, or quarterback play that is to blame?

0 HS
Gobucks2204's picture
October 9, 2015 at 6:31pm
13 Comments

This week I've just been wondering how much our struggles are from the play calling, the execution (penalties, bad snaps, and turnovers), or the quarterback play.

I have no idea how to break apart film but for people that have experience in doing so are coaches able to tell whether the play failed because it was a bad play called, or that it was not executed properly? Are they able to tell whether it was Cardale or J.T's fault on a given play? Or maybe the offensive line or receivers not blocking well?

I would think that if we can properly diagnose what the issue is that we can fix it. Obviously running Cardale laterally or Braxton in the wildcat with all those defenders in the box is not as likely to be successful. Or can any play be successful depending on if it's executed properly?

I also would think that Urban critiques his own coaches on their play calling? But how does he do it? Is play calling evaluated through film study as well?  If it's simply a play calling issue it can be fixed right?

I was just wondering if all these struggles are something easy to identify or fix, and how do the coaches go about determining what is what. Any insight would be appreciated.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 13 Comments