Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Please help me understand something...

0 HS
JKH1232's picture
October 3, 2015 at 8:25pm
92 Comments

This is a question for all of those angry about the fact that the team that they claim to be a fan of won a game of football.  Why are you watching?  This is a serious question.  Football games take three and a half hours to play, and they usually occur on the weekend, when most people have the most free time.  That's pretty precious, actually- like runway behind you, you can't use time that's passed.  Time that's not taken up by the demands of employment, sleep or other demands is pretty rare.

Now, I'm not a very smart person, but I've done some reading on the internet, and in books, too.  I think, in the modern era, there are only two outcomes to a football game, a win, and a loss.  If you're upset when your team wins, I have to deduce that you'll be upset when they lose, too.  Since, either outcome of the game, win or loss, makes you angry, isn't it a waste of time to watch the game?  And isn't it an even further waste of time to complain about it to strangers on the internet?

I mean, I may be crazy here.  I came late to the college game, I spent most of my youth as an NFL only fan, and in the NFL, every game is precious, and every win is a pearl of great price.  Am I just misunderstanding what it means to be a college football fan?  Is it just misery, win or lose?  Am I the one wasting my time, enjoying wins?  

This is a world with Netflix, Amazon Prime, Kindles, Xbox 360s, good bars with good beer, and attractive people with fairly easy going views on sex.  In three and a half hours, you can watch just about any movie you want, read some short stories or a chunk of a novel or work of nonfiction, get lucky- or make an ass out of yourself trying- play some really good video games, or eat some good food with some friends.  Or, if you don't have any friends, make some new ones.

I can't say I'm totally blameless- I wasted a lot of time deep in dungeons with 24 people I hated when I was in a serious WoW raiding guild.  But, then I realized I hated it, and decided to do something that was fun, rather than wasting hours of my free time doing something that made me angry.  

So, I guess I have to ask- if watching Ohio State play football makes you angry, angry enough to yell incoherently at strangers on the internet, why don't you do something that makes you happy instead?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 92 Comments