Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Thought exercise: Fan support of a given QB

0 HS
Andy Vance's picture
September 23, 2015 at 7:05pm
80 Comments

With the news that Urban Meyer will continue to start Cardale Jones "unless he doesn't perform well," I'm again struck by the realization that many - perhaps most - of us on the boards seem to be genuinely surprised, and not a little disappointed in this decision.

As poster BuckeyeJack has pointed out in several threads, the various 11W polls of the offseason and early season have indicated a wide majority of members either expected or preferred Barrett to start (note that those are two different, and not interchangeable questions). Likewise, polling at Cleveland.com, more or less the hometown site of record former Glenville star Jones, showed more than 80% of readers thinking Barrett "should" start.

Which brings me to the question: why?

It is almost universally accepted that Jones has a stronger arm, is a much tougher back to tackle on the move or take down in the pocket, is a formidable downhill runner in the mold of Big Ben, and indeed led his team to three of the biggest victories in school history, all after coming off the bench as essentially the third string QB.

What's more, it's also nearly universally accepted that Jones is one of, if not the most likable players on the team, with a big grin, easy laugh, and continually amusing Twitter feed. He seems to have a good rapport with his coach and teammates, and seems like a genuinely nice young fellow.

So, what gives? With all of those tangibles and intangibles, why are we - yours truly included - seemingly all geared toward giving Barrett the reins and putting Jones back on ice? I have my reasons, I suppose, but I think it's important to analyze why we're all seemingly predisposed to giving J.T. the nod and feeling as though something is seriously wrong with Meyer's thought process throughout this situation.

Sound off in the comments. I'm genuinely curious as to your reasons - actually take a minute to think before you respond, and be thoughtful in your arguments. Furthermore, keep it respectful and classy. I don't want any of this "Team J.T. versus Team Cardale" bullshit - this isn't the friggin' Twilight saga, after all, this is important, and both young men deserve our respect. Okay, with that disclaimer out of the way, let's hear your thoughts.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 80 Comments