Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Top 100 Ohio State Players: No. 52

Matt Gutridge's picture
July 17, 2015 at 10:50pm
39 Comments

There are 52 days that separate us from Ohio State's march to Blacksburg. To help pass the time until the Buckeyes put the Sandman to sleep I will countdown Ohio State's top 100 players according to the rubric* listed at the bottom of this article.

Joey Galloway

Joey Galloway is one of my favorite Ohio State receivers. 

NO. 52 JOEY GALLOWAY, WR (1990-1994)
Born: 
1971 (Bellaire, Ohio)
High School: Bellaire

OHIO STATE CAREER

• The Buckeyes were 33-12-3 with Galloway on the team.
  • 1993 Big Ten Title.
  • 1993 Defeated BYU 28-21 to win the Holiday Bowl.
  • 1992 Tied That Team 13-13.

HONORS

• 1994 Captain.
  • 1994 Academic All-Big Ten.
  • 1993 All-Big Ten.
  • 1993 Academic All-Big Ten.
  • 1991 Academic All-Big Ten.

NFL Draft
Round 1 to the Seattle Seahawks with the 8h pick of the 1995 draft.

Bill Walsh College Football 95

Using Galloway and Ohio State on Sega's Bill Walsh College Football 95 was cheating. Why? Because EA recognized that Joey G. was Crazy Fast.

Joey Galloway is one of my favorite Ohio State receivers. Every time he was on the field I anticipated a long touchdown catch and run. He led the team in receiving in 1993 and 1994.

When Galloway played I had never witnessed a player as fast as he was in a Buckeye uniform. He won the state track title in the 100 and 200 meter dash and his speed translated to the football field. I remember somebody saying that Galloway wasn't fast, he was crazy fast. That description has always stayed with me. Joey "Crazy Fast" Galloway is what I call him.

Geek Note:  Galloway was also a beast on Bill Walsh College Football '95 for SEGA.  Ohio State was unstoppable with Galloway, George, and Hoying. My friend Joe stopped playing the game because of Galloway and George.

The game was made easy. Throw the deep ball to No.7. Galloway was always lined up on the left and would always make the catch. 

Galloway

Galloway rocking the original crop top.

Galloway's career per Wikipedia:

Galloway played college football at Ohio State University. While there he earned many honors and finished in the  top five all time  in many of  Ohio State's receiving records.

During his junior year he caught 47 passes for 946 yards and  tied Cris Carter with a school record 11 touchdowns. His great play earned him First-Team All-Big Ten Conference honors as a junior.
During his senior year he made 44 receptions for 669 yards and seven touchdowns, and earned Second-Team All-Big Ten Conference.

He finished his college career fourth in both career receptions with 108 and receiving yards with 1,894, and second in touchdown receptions behind Cris Carter with 19.

Galloway was drafted by the Seattle Seahawks in the first round of the 1995  NFL Draft. He played in the NFL from 1995-2010.

For his NFL career he gained 10,950 yards and 77 touchdowns.

GALLOWAY'S POINTS
CATEGORY POINTS
HEISMAN  
NO. RETIRED / HONORED  
BIG TEN MVP  
TEAM MVP 5
ALL-AMERICAN  
CAPTAIN 4
1ST ROUND NFL DRAFT PICK 4
ALL-BIG TEN 3
ACADEMIC ALL-AMERICAN  
NFL DRAFT PICK  
ACADEMIC ALL-BIG TEN 3
LETTER 0.75

TOTAL 19.75

For more information on other players who wore No. 7 go here.

Sources- The Ohio State Team Guide and Wikipedia

THE RUBRIC
CATEGORY POINTS
HEISMAN 8
NO. RETIRED / HONORED 8
BIG TEN MVP 6
TEAM MVP 5
ALL-AMERICAN 4
CAPTAIN 4
1ST ROUND NFL DRAFT PICK 4
ALL-BIG TEN 3
ACADEMIC ALL-AMERICAN 3
NFL DRAFT PICK 2
ACADEMIC ALL-BIG TEN 1
LETTER 0.25 PER YEAR

ALL PLAYERS COVERED TO DATE

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 39 Comments