Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Buckeyes Outside The State: Reaction of Others This Past Week?

0 HS
huntinwabbits's picture
January 20, 2015 at 3:33pm
128 Comments

It's been one week since the glorious day when the Buckeyes earned and were given the title Undisputed Champions. I thought it would be interesting to see how people have reacted this past week to the Buckeyes winning it all outside the Great State of Ohio, whether to you personally or just in general. I'll start:

I moved to a beach town just over a year ago and work in IT/Programmer at a non-SEC school, but in SEC country - South Carolina. Most people I work directly with are USC grads. Usually my plate is constantly filled with requests from others as I am sure any other IT people can relate. However, when I came back to work on Jan 5th, I had about 3 days where I was completely avoided until my co-workers had no choice. After debating SEC vs the World for the entire fall, no one wanted to show their face after the SEC West performance and the Buckeyes beating Alabama. The assistant controller of the university went as far ordering an old Ohio State vs South Carolina bowl sweatshirt from 2000-2001 and showed up with it on one day just rub it in. His silence was most enjoyable. I was sure to have my picture with Archie Griffin hanging, my OSU disploma, my jersey and a stuffed Brutus that when you pull it's legs and it plays the Buckeye Battle Cry. There was much hatred and envy in him for that week. Upon winning the Championship I walked in to some of my co-workers literally bowing down and congratulating me (my superstitions have me convinced I did in fact have a part in the game). The were completely defeated and miserable. For those unaware, Gamecock fans felt this year was their year. They had an easy schedule with no Alabama this year. They really thought they were a shoe in for the playoffs. As you can imagine, the football talk gradually shifted to NFL as the year went on and their team went on to finish the regular season 6-6. No one wanted to talk college with me haha. After a week, they are still in misery and most of them I haven't seen or heard from because they cannot stand the idea of acknowledging we are the best after they worked so hard all off-season and the VT fiasco to bash the B1G and Ohio State.

A part from work, I have a Buckeye license plate on the front of my car and have been stopped countless times by Buckeye fans visiting or other locals who cheer for non-champion schools. Lots of congratulations and admission of superiority. Most were surprised we beat Alabama and were not sure we could stop Oregon. I am only a few years removed from college and I love getting stopped by folks in their 70's or around there to talk Buckeye football with me and reminisce. Most of the time it happens in parking lots of grocery stores but I appreciate them. Got to love that there are Buckeyes everywhere. I am not the only one in my neighborhood with a Buckeye SSID. My Buckeye flag hangs from my garage where it has since I got it and the light on it shines a little bright now-a-days. 

It's all be positive reactions for me with most non-Buckeye fans. Just lots of depressed people that the 'Alabama of the North' won the title. Lots of envy in these parts. Any one else have any interesting stories or interactions?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 128 Comments