Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Kosta, The Fallen

0 HS
gunin2012's picture
December 2, 2014 at 3:02am
11 Comments

I realize some of you may have already read my post but I feel it's so valuable a lesson into the mind after these horrific events I wanted to share it again. 

As a Soldier that has witnessed suicide from many of my own friends and fellow Soldiers this has been a tough week. I do understand the pain a confusion that this type of incident may cause. My only advice would be to do exactly what we do in combat, rally the troops. It sounds like a cliche but it is absolutely 100% true. In 2003 I was in Kuwait on our initial push to Baghdad and we had a fellow warrior take his life. Too many emotions to describe were happening at that moment but one thing was very clear, in the next 24 hours we were going to war and our focus was intense. We took the loss of our fellow Soldier very, very hard however it forged a bond that you can't understand unless you've went through it. The next day we locked and loaded not knowing what tomorrow would bring but that no matter what our focus, intensity, training, and love for each other would guide us to victory. There was not a single guy who was afraid of what the enemy might do because we knew we would have an answer. The death of our friend was tragic but was key to bringing us together through an unbreakable bond. Nothing could stop us because we knew he was watching over and guiding us when we had nothing left.

I apologize for the long post but I really felt this was appropriate for this situation. I think the players will get a glimpse of the true meaning of brotherhood which is when during the most adverse times and when you find yourself struggling the most you look to your left and look to your right and you know that everything is going to be just fine because  together we can conquer all. Thoughts and prayer with the family and please never forget the great toll suicide plays in our Soldiers and families lives!

Also I believe a bracelet honoring their fallen teammate would be a great tribute. Everyone would look down and see that name on your wrist you are given just a little more energy for the next play.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 11 Comments