Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

Sorry Buckeyes, but we shouldn't be ranked above #7

0 HS
Coach Rich's picture
November 18, 2014 at 9:59pm
153 Comments

I think the committee is also doing a good job and performing as we'd hoped.  However, I doubt Baylor fans feel the same.  I just don't understand how head to head isn't the trump card when two teams are as close as Baylor and TCU.  I've listened to the arguments for TCU and find them all to be bull shit.  

With that said, I'd have both Baylor and TCU ranked above the Buckeyes.

Don't get me wrong, I want the Buckeyes in this play-off as much if not more than most.  It's just when I take my "Block-O" Woody hat off and put my "objective neutral" hat on, I can't find a way to rank the Buckeyes above #7 right now.

Let's remove the names of schools in an attempt to remove bias.  Of the 5 - one loss teams in consideration; we have two teams with losses to teams with 2 losses who are currently ranked in the top 25.  We have another team with a loss to the team ranked currently  number one.  We have another team who's lone loss is to a team ranked number 5.  We have another team with a loss to a team with 4 losses (but that team was ranked consistently throughout the season in the top 25), however, they have a win over the above mentioned team.  Then we have a final one loss team with a loss to a .500 team at home. That team who beat them also plays in a weak conference to boot.

Losses have to have consequences regardless of how great we're playing now.  The other sport I love to follow beside college football is MMA.  The president of the UFC (the largest MMA promotion), Dana White, whom I don't always agree with, has a brilliant saying: "Never leave it in the hands of the judges".  This is always what he tells fighters who come up short in controversial decisions.  In other words, these fighters should have knocked out their opponents or submitted them - dictating the outcome rather than counting on the judges to rule in their favor.  

I'm old school and what I've grown accustomed to is that if you want to play for a national title you better go undefeated.  Now there is a little more forgiveness for a loss.  With that said, if you are going to play in a weak conference and play a weak non conference schedule, you better go undefeated if you want to play for a national championship.  Look at FSU.  They also play in a weak conference.  But unlike the Buckeyes, they haven't "left it in the hands of the judges".  Even though they've dropped to #3, they're still in the play-offs and will be if they remain undefeated.  Just as the Buckeyes would be if we were undefeated.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 153 Comments