Ohio State Football Forum

Ohio State football fan talk.

View from the Stands-Navy

0 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture
September 2, 2014 at 9:39am
15 Comments

Here's what I saw Saturday from section 104:

-Mike Thomas is a stud.  Makes the incredible look routine.  He did miss some blocks, but he is a star waiting to happen.

-The Pregame festivities with the ranks of the Midshipmen on the field was awesome.  How could you be an American and not appreciate it?  Also cool to hear when they announced the leader of one of the units, and said he was from Columbus, OH-he got a loud ovation as expected.

-Navy's uniforms were as awesome as everyone on here thought they would be when pics were posted earlier in the week.

-I was surprised to see how thick J.T. was in the legs.  He's built to take some hits, and I don't see arm tackles bringing him down.

-I know it's been a much discussed topic, but the O-Line looked bad in the 1st half.  No push at all, and no pass protection.  I felt like in the 2nd half, they did improve, but play calling changed a bit too.  They were running more down hill than sideline to sideline.

-Navy runs the option with precision.  Teams cannot prepare for that type of execution.  You can talk assignments all you want, but the amount of misdirection they use, it's extremely difficult to defend.  Yes they had a ton of rushing yards, but they don't throw it.  Even when trailing in the 4th, they still ran.  Too much is being made about the amount of yards given up.  There were missed tackles and blown assignments on the pitchmen, but to hold that team to 17 points, especially as bad as the OSU offense played in the 1st half, is a positive.

-The D-Line was impressive.  It's going to be fun to watch this group against more traditional offenses.

-It was very moving to see both teams together for the playing of their alma maters after the game.  It summed up the day in general.  That may have been the most respectful, honorable game of football I have ever seen.  It's refreshing to see that.

-Dontre needs to pick a seam and go on returns.  He's trying to make too many moves and make people miss.  Can't do that on returns.

-TBDBITL-period.  They received a loud ovation prior to performing, and did not disappoint.  A Floating Anchor in tribute to Navy, and a double Script OHIO to top things off, what else can you ask for.

-Overall, for my OSU game in person, I couldn't have been happier.  Good to see a competitive game with OSU coming out on top.  The atmosphere was incredible.  Maybe it's just me, but I would be interested in a similar post from other 11 Dubbers in attendance at the rest of the games this season as well, to fill the rest of us in on things not always captured on TV.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 15 Comments