Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State basketball fan talk.

Ohio State Needs a New Basketball Coach

+20 HS
Olentangy Ballers 4 Life's picture
January 29, 2023 at 9:25am
247 Comments

I’ve had enough of Holtmann, I’m sure many of you have too. It’s time.

The end game coaching against UNC & Purdue were just embarrassing. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Losing to Minnesota, at home?! C’mon man. Not being competitive and getting pummeled at Indiana. Typical Holtmann. Getting thoroughly outcoached as the game goes on.

Being a .500 team at Ohio State just isn’t good enough.

It’s not like we don’t have talent either. 

Let’s hope Gene Smith isn’t his usual complacent self, but instead makes the right move. Eat the buyout. Risk losing recruits for next year? Well, we’re going to lose them anyways with a fader like Holtmann, he’s on the way down. Those guys committed, thinking OSU is a top 20 team. Hope they stick, but it’s not guaranteed.

Even when we make the NCAA Tournament, Holtmann can not get past the first round of the tourney so save his life. People like to point to his 20 wins streak. That’s not that impressive anymore, and it’s highly unlikely to happen this season.

* Who would your replacement be? *

- T.J. Otzelberger. Midwestern guy. The Iowa State coach is really performing a miracle turnaround. They can D up. Surely, we have more resources to offer than ISU. 

- Nate Oats. Another Midwestern guy. Alabama is a top 3 team. Not a lot of basketball tradition at Bama. Make a BIG $ offer. Why not? 

- Sean Miller. He is an elite recruiter, solid coach. History of going a lot further in the Tourney than Holtmann. Wouldn’t he rather be at the top dog in the state instead of a small non-Power 5 like Xavier? 

- Eric Musselman. Great coach. Great recruiter, and can get guys in the transfer portal. Another Midwest guy too, from Ohio originally. But, would it be too weird hiring the son of the coach who arguably let that criminal assault happen when Minnesota assaulted OSU back in the 70s (?)

- Kelvin Sampson. Best coach in the country in my opinion. But, he may be content where’s he’s at — in Houston. Great recruiting area, and solid financial support, even though it’s not a major program. Plus, hes 67. He may not be in for another program turnaround. But, why not try? Worth a shot. I don’t care about a shady past with NCAA infractions. The NCAA Is becoming more and more irrelevant.

…………………………………………

Any other names? I doubt guys like Billy Donovan and Brad Stevens want to go back to the collage game and deal with the NIL, transfer crap.

Holtmann just isn’t a great coach. He’d be good for a program like Minnesota or Vanderbilt. We shouldn’t be happy with the results here at tOSU. 

Go Bucks.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 247 Comments