Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State Basketball Forum

Ohio State basketball fan talk.

Holtmann OSU Coach for 2022/2023?

+3 HS
James Varney's picture
March 11, 2022 at 12:52am
197 Comments

Just before the Big 10 tournament started there was a good forum discussion about defending or "attacking" Holtmann as Ohio State's coach. My questions is blunt: Should he stay or should he go?

It seems to me that a half-decade is a reasonable amount of time in which to make a determination on a guy. And the consistent medicority of Ohio State, it's record, along with the team's consistent drawbacks (second half collapses; unreliable offense in stretches, turnovers, boxing out and not surrending offensive rebounds) have stayed the same.

But more importantly, it seems to me, is the recruiting has been lackluster. Ohio State's teams simply don't look all that athletic. Lidell is a glaringly superior athlete to everyone else on the team. They don't dunk, or dunk poorly. We had a 3-on-2 break in the second half today that bogged down and ended with Branham taking a low-percentage turnaround jumper. There's no dribble penetration from the guards - Wheeler had his guy beat late in the 1st half at the top of the key but inexplicably stopped. Those sort of things happen *every game!* Any kind of press rattles us. Ohio State needs to land better players than Holtmann has managed to sign, IMO.

For all those reasons, I think Holtmann should be dismissed. I was kidding (sort of) about Pitino. But I may be wrong. I would like to hear the calm, cogent argument for why Ohio State should retain him as coach next season. Go Bucks!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 197 Comments